Irreducible Modules/Submodules & Group Algebras (G = D6)

• Thread starter OMM!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the problem is to show that the group algebra \mathbb{C}G can be decomposed into 4 irreducible CG-submodules, denoted as U_{1}, U_{2}, U_{3}, and U_{4}. This can be done by showing that the submodules sp(v_{0}, bv_{0}), sp(v_{1}, bv_{2}), sp(v_{2}, bv_{1}) are C<b>-Modules and that they are not reducible to the zero submodule. The solution also involves showing that v_{i}a = w^{i}v_{i} and w_{i}b = v_{i} for i = 0, 1, 2
OMM!

Homework Statement

[tex]G = D_6 = \left\{a,b: a^{3} = b^{2} = 1, b^{-1}ab = a^{-1}\right\}[/tex]

Must show that the group algebra: [tex]\mathbb{C}G = U_{1} \oplus U_{2} \oplus U_{3} \oplus U_{4}[/tex]

where U_{i} are irreducible CG-submodules.

Homework Equations

We have [tex]w = e^{2 \pi i/3}:[/tex]

[tex]v_0 = 1 + a + a^{2}; v_1 = 1 + w^{2}a + wa^{2}; v_2 = 1 + wa + w^{2}a^{2}.[/tex]

[tex] w_0 = bv_0; w_1 = bv_1; w_2 = bv_2 [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've shown that for i = 0,1,2: [tex]v_{i}a = w^{i}v_{i}[/tex]

And so clearly, [tex]sp(v_{i})[/tex] is a C<a>-Module, as va in sp(v_{i}) for all v_{i} in sp(v_{i}) and r in C<a> etc.

And I've also shown that [tex]w_{0}b = v_{0}, w_{1}b = v_{2}, w_{2}b = v_{1}[/tex]

To show that sp(v_0, bv_0), sp(v_1, bv_2), sp(v_2, bv_1) are C<b>-Modules.

And so all of these are CG-submodules of CG, as a and b are generators of the group G.

So now I need to show that there are 4 irreducible CG-submodules, presumably from the above, or if some of them aren't irreducible they reduce to the required submodules.

However, I'm a little stuck at this stage.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that an irreducible module is one where the only submodule is the zero submodule. I think I need to show that none of the above submodules reduce to the zero submodule, but I'm not sure how to do this.

1. What is an irreducible module?

An irreducible module is a module that cannot be decomposed into smaller submodules. This means that it has no proper non-trivial submodules.

2. What is an irreducible submodule?

An irreducible submodule is a submodule that cannot be decomposed into smaller submodules. This means that it has no proper non-trivial submodules.

3. How do you determine if a module is irreducible?

A module is irreducible if it cannot be decomposed into smaller submodules. This can be determined by checking if the module has any proper non-trivial submodules.

4. What is a group algebra?

A group algebra is an algebraic structure that assigns to each element of a group a corresponding vector space. It is used to study the representations of groups and their properties.

5. How is the D6 group related to irreducible modules and group algebras?

The D6 group, also known as the dihedral group of order 6, can be used to study the properties of irreducible modules and group algebras. This group has six elements and can be represented using matrices, making it a useful tool in understanding the relationships between modules and group algebras.