Matrix Dot Product: Solving Linear Algebra

In summary, matrix multiplication is performed by taking the dot product of the rows and columns of the two matrices. The resulting product will have in its ith row and jth column the dot product of the ith row of the left matrix with the jth column of the right matrix. This is illustrated in the example of M*M=M^2 for the given matrix. However, when using the notation "." in the context of matrix multiplication, it can be confusing as it is not the same as the dot product used for vectors. It is simply a notational configuration by the computing language.
nigels
Hi, here's the problem:

for m = {{a, b}, {c, d}},

m \cdot m is suppose to = {{a^2 + b c, a b + b d}, {a c + c d, b c + d^2}}

It's been ages since I took linear algebra and now can't figure out how this works.

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
That is the product M*M=M^2. When you multiply two matrices, the product will have in its ith row and jth column the dot product of the ith row of the left matrix times the jth column of the right matrix. So to get the first entry (entry in the first row, first column), you perform the dot product of (a, b) -- the first row of the first matrix with (a,c)--the first column of the second matrix. That is a*a+b*c=a^2+bc.

Is M \cdot M the same thing as M*M?

nigels said:
Is M \cdot M the same thing as M*M?

It depends on how the 'dot' has been defined. In this case it is the product of M with itself so i suspect it just gave the formula for M^2. However, it is not a "dot product". Dot products -- more generally inner products -- give back a number.

Hmm. I thought so.. that dot product works by summing the product of individual elements of vectors, which is why it's confusing when Mathematica uses the notation "." in the context of matrix multiplication. So, if I understand correctly, one can't really take the dot product of matrices and what I see is only the result of notational configuration by the computing language.

nigels said:
Hmm. I thought so.. that dot product works by summing the product of individual elements of vectors, which is why it's confusing when Mathematica uses the notation "." in the context of matrix multiplication. So, if I understand correctly, one can't really take the dot product of matrices and what I see is only the result of notational configuration by the computing language.

I would have to agree with you. Though, you can define an inner product on m x n matrices by adding the products of the corresponding entries in the matrices. It ends up being the same as the standard dot product on vectors in R^mn.

Thanks for the help, Davey.

1. What is a matrix dot product?

A matrix dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two matrices of compatible dimensions and produces a new matrix. It involves multiplying corresponding elements in each row and column of the matrices and summing the results to get the values in the new matrix.

2. Why is the matrix dot product important in linear algebra?

The matrix dot product is important in linear algebra because it can be used to solve systems of linear equations. It allows us to represent multiple equations in a compact form and perform calculations more efficiently.

3. What are the rules for performing a matrix dot product?

The rules for performing a matrix dot product include: 1) the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix, 2) the resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix, and 3) the dot product is not commutative, meaning that changing the order of the matrices will result in a different product.

4. How is the matrix dot product calculated in practice?

To calculate the matrix dot product, we multiply the corresponding elements in each row of the first matrix with the corresponding elements in each column of the second matrix. Then, we sum these products to get the value for each element in the resulting matrix.

5. Can the matrix dot product be used for matrices with non-numeric elements?

No, the matrix dot product can only be performed on matrices with numeric elements. This is because the multiplication and addition operations involved in the dot product are only defined for numeric values.