Looking for advice regarding mathematics in business (Business math)

In summary, an undergraduate degree in mathematics is a good foundation for a career in applied mathematics, finance, or actuarial science, but other courses may be necessary to be fully prepared for the job market.
ssayani87
Hello all,

I just finished my undergraduate degree in mathematics last December and I'm trying to figure out how to proceed in the future with my math degree. I am more interested in applied mathematics and am trying to get some advice as to what field to specialize in; I'm looking for something heavily mathematics based (I want to use a LOT of math in whatever field I end up in!), involving a lot of analytical thinking and modeling, teamwork/presentation of ideas and, based upon my interests, something based in the business world.

Going on the research and soul searching that I have been doing since I graduated, I'm thinking that economics, finance, or actuarial science would be a good fit for me. As well, I would like to stay away from accounting. I did not take any econ, finance, or actuarial science classes during my undergrad but I also don't have a problem with taking a couple of years or so to catch up on any classes that I would need to take.

Can anybody put in their 2 cents?

Physics news on Phys.org
I’ve been working as an actuarial analyst for a few years and am not too far from getting my first designation. Actuarial work is business work, not science or mathematics. It fits much of your description of what you are interested in (analytical thinking, modeling, teamwork, presentation), but if you’re expecting to be doing differential equations all day you’ll be disappointed. Actuaries study mathematics to first give them a proper state of mind when doing their work, and second to provide a foundation with which they can create and evaluate models.

The process of becoming an actuary, the current job market for actuaries and the work environment of an actuary all depend on location. You’ll need to provide yours if you’re interested in any further details.

(hopefully this doesn't double post, having some trouble with the database)

Try reading a book on finance, or looks at the Black-Scholes equation, or an undergraduate text on economics. See if anything sparks your interest.
Read https://www.cfainstitute.org/pages/index.aspx

Like you I have an undergrad maths degree & have a good understanding of corporate finance by working in companies & from extensive reading, but I have not formal training in finance. With a maths degree you can pick up this sort of thing fast.

You could always try financial engineering. It has finance and is math intensive but you would also need to have a strong background in C++.

Good luck with whatever it is that you choose to do.

As a scientist with a background in mathematics, I can understand your interest in finding a field that heavily utilizes mathematical skills and analytical thinking. I would suggest looking into data science, as it combines mathematics, statistics, and computer science to analyze and interpret large amounts of data for businesses. This field is in high demand and offers a variety of opportunities in various industries, including finance, economics, and actuarial science. Additionally, you can consider pursuing a graduate degree in one of these fields to gain more specialized knowledge and skills. Networking with professionals in these fields or seeking advice from career counselors can also provide valuable insights and guidance. Best of luck in your search for a fulfilling career in business mathematics!

1. What is business math?

Business math, also known as commercial math or consumer math, is the application of mathematical concepts and principles to solve problems in the business world. It involves using mathematical tools and techniques to analyze financial data, make predictions, and inform decision making in various business settings.

2. How is business math different from traditional math?

Business math is more focused on real-world applications and practical problem solving in a business context. It often involves using mathematical concepts such as percentages, ratios, and statistics to analyze and interpret financial data, rather than solving abstract equations or proofs.

3. Why is business math important in the business world?

Business math is essential for making informed business decisions and managing finances effectively. It allows businesses to analyze financial data, identify patterns and trends, and make accurate predictions about future outcomes. This helps businesses plan and strategize, as well as evaluate the success of their operations.

4. What are some common applications of business math?

Business math is used in various areas of business, including accounting, finance, marketing, and operations. Some common applications include calculating profits and losses, analyzing sales data, determining pricing strategies, and managing budgets and investments.

5. Do I need to have a strong math background to understand business math?

While a strong foundation in math can be helpful, most business math concepts are based on basic arithmetic and can be understood by anyone with basic math skills. With practice and application, anyone can become proficient in using business math to solve real-world problems in a business setting.