Launching of a Potato (Involve kinetic and potential energy and an angle )

In summary: Vxh with the initial velocity as the hypotenuse and the x-coordinate as the smaller of the two sides: vx = vinitialsin(x)
bluey2014
Launching of a Potato (Involve kinetic and potential energy and an angle!)

A potato of mass 210 g is launched from a potato gun, being released from a height of 0.6 m, at an angle of 47o with respect to the horizontal, and with an initial speed of 38 m/s. Assume the effect of air resistance can be neglected.

mass = 210 g or 0.210 kg
height (initial) = 0.6 m
θ (angle) = 47 degrees
Vo (initial velocity) = 38 m/s

a. What is the horizontal component of the potato’s velocity at the time it is launched?
b. What is the speed of the potato when it is its maximum height? Hint: the answer is not 0!
c. Calculate the kinetic energy of the potato when it is launched.
d. Calculate the gravitational potential energy of the potato when it is launched.
e. Calculate the kinetic energy of the potato when it reaches its maximum height.
f. Using the principle of energy conservation (that is, a Unit 2 technique not a Unit 1 technique), determine how high above the ground the potato rises before beginning its descent.

Vectors have always been an issue for me in this class...as soon as I see an angle I get all mixed up.

Part A: I'm not really sure what is meant by "horizontal component". The potato is being launched upward so it has an x and y value. Would its vertical component be 38 m/s in the y direction? I have no clue...

Part B: This is projectile motion...the first thing I thought of is 0! Why is it not 0? Is it because the potato is still moving horizontally, just not vertically?

Part C: Okay so K = 0.5 * m * v^2
K = 0.5 * 0.210 kg * 38 m/s ^2
K = 150 J

Now there is an angle involved...I have no clue how or if that needs to be factored in...

Part D: U = mgh
U = 0.210 kg * 9.8 m/s^2 * 0.6 m
U = 1.23 J

And again with the angle...

Part E: I think once I get the angle part dealt with I'll be able to solve the rest of this...

Part F:

I know you guys don't want to do our homework for us, which I completely understand, but I really can't do this problem correctly without knowing how to handle the angle. Once that part is pointed out, I should be able to do the rest of the problem.

Thanks 1 million times to who ever can help! =]

Physics news on Phys.org

In lower classes of Physics students only work problems where motion is in a straight line. But then in higher classes there will be problems where motion will be in a curve.

But the beautiful thing about projectiles projected under gravity is to notice that the curved motion is just made up of
a) motion in a straight line with constant velocity along the horizontal
and b) motion in a straight line with constant acceleration along the vertical.

The particle is subjected simultaneously to these two types of motion and thus goes in a curve.

The student can continue to work in straight line motion as he did in lower classes. But he has to be careful whether he is working in the horizontal or in the vertical since the conditions are different.

a. What is the horizontal component of the potato’s velocity at the time it is launched?
A) You can separate the velocity into two vectors, let's say vx and vy. The find the horizontal velocity, you simply make a triangle with the vinitial as the hypotenuse with an angle of 47 degrees. Use vinitialsin(x) to find vx (the horizontal velocity). All this is assuming there is no air friction.

What is the speed of the potato when it is its maximum height? Hint: the answer is not 0!
The speed of the potato I interpret as the magnitude of its velocity. Since vx is 0m/s at max height we can neglect that and use vy. The answer would be visin(x), the same as your question A.

. Calculate the kinetic energy of the potato when it is launched.
Use KE=.5mv2.

d. Calculate the gravitational potential energy of the potato when it is launched.
Use PE=mgh. Keep in mind that h has a non-zero value because you are not on the ground.

e. Calculate the kinetic energy of the potato when it reaches its maximum height.
KE=0.

Gotta go to class! My answers might not necessarily be correct, please check them over! I'm just a student myself lol.

Consider the two figures here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=39915&stc=1&d=1318432633.gif

The first shows the trajectory of your projectile plotted on X-Y axes. The initial launch speed is indicated as Vo and the initial launch angle is θ. Note that a quantity with both magnitude and direction is a vector quantity. So we can call Vo with its angle the initial velocity vector.

The second drawing shows the velocity vector drawn on a set of axes that represent the vertical (y) and horizontal (x) components of a velocity. What are the projected lengths of this vector on the axes? That is, what are Vx and Vy? You'll want to use a little trigonometry.

Something to note is that while the velocity in the y-direction changes due to the acceleration due to gravity, the velocity in the x-direction is constant throughout the trajectory.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 842

[QUOTE ... find the horizontal velocity, you simply make a triangle with the vinitial as the hypotenuse with an angle of 47 degrees. Use vinitialsin(x) to find vx (the horizontal velocity)... QUOTE]

If x is 47deg then sin must be replaced by cos.

[QUOTE ... Since vx is 0m/s at max height we can neglect that and use vy[/QUOTE]

May I correct some typos:

If v[itex]_{x}[/itex] is meant to be the horizontal component of the velocity, then vx must be replaced by vy and vy by vx.

Thanks for making the corrections :x

1. How does the angle at which a potato is launched affect its kinetic and potential energy?

The angle at which a potato is launched can greatly affect its kinetic and potential energy. When launched at a lower angle, the potato will have a higher initial potential energy due to its higher position. As it moves through the air, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. However, when launched at a higher angle, the potato will have a higher initial kinetic energy due to its greater speed. As it moves through the air, this kinetic energy will decrease as it gains height and potential energy.

2. How does the mass of the potato affect its kinetic and potential energy when launched?

The mass of the potato will affect its kinetic and potential energy when launched. A heavier potato will have more potential energy when launched at the same angle as a lighter potato. This is because it has more mass and therefore more gravitational potential energy due to its higher position. However, the heavier potato will also require more force to launch it at the same angle, resulting in a greater initial kinetic energy.

3. How does air resistance impact the launch of a potato and its kinetic and potential energy?

Air resistance can greatly impact the launch of a potato and its kinetic and potential energy. As the potato moves through the air, it will experience a force of air resistance that acts in the opposite direction of its motion. This force can decrease the potato's kinetic energy and also convert some of its potential energy into other forms of energy, such as heat.

4. What is the relationship between the angle of launch and the maximum height reached by the potato?

The angle of launch and the maximum height reached by the potato have a direct relationship. As the angle of launch increases, the maximum height reached by the potato also increases. This is because a higher launch angle will result in a higher initial kinetic energy and a greater vertical component of the potato's velocity, allowing it to reach greater heights.

5. How does the launch speed of the potato affect its kinetic and potential energy?

The launch speed of the potato will have a significant impact on both its kinetic and potential energy. A higher launch speed will result in a higher initial kinetic energy. However, it will also require more force to launch the potato at a higher speed, resulting in a decrease in its potential energy. The distribution of kinetic and potential energy will also vary depending on the launch speed, with a higher launch speed resulting in a greater proportion of kinetic energy compared to potential energy.