How should newly admitted grad student prepare for grad school?

In summary: The summary is that the poster is looking for advice on what to do to prepare for graduate school, and current or past grad students can give him some advice.
mattlorig
I graduated with a BS in physics last spring, and just finished the whole grad school application process. I now have from Dec. '04 - Sept. '05 to do what I want with my life, and I was thinking about how I should prepare myself to begin graduate school. I would particularly like to hear from current graduate students what the did (or more likely what they wish they had done) to prepare for graduate school Right now, I'm thinking of just studying EM, QM, and Statistical Mechanics on my own. I've only had one semester of each of these courses, and I think many undergraduate programs required two semesters of them.

Also, I'd like to know if graduate students were surprised by anything when they began graduate school...Really heavy course loads? Jump in difficulty from undergrad to grad courses? Any other advice would be welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
you are not the only one in this state of mind.I don't even have an idea of what to expect. Is the first meeting going to be with advisors.will there be any more interviews about our previous experiences or...whatever.My background is even in chemical engineering not that I'm coming from a pure Physics background. I'm in the dark here.Can anyone shed some light on this.Current/past grad students,kindly fill us in.keep us posted.Thnx.

See if you can get some kind of job or internship and make some money. Money will be tight in grad school, so it helps if you can save something up for a rainy day. Also, I've noticed that people who have held a real job or two have a better time focusing in grad school, as they seem to have a better idea of why they are there. I have a few friends who have never been exposed to the real world, and they are consistently the most confused and discouraged.

Assuming the original poster is still in grad school, he's probably in the middle of working on his dissertation right now. :wink:

Damn you, thread necromancy! Foiled again!

1. What should I do before starting grad school?

Before starting grad school, it is important to do some research about the program, the courses, and the faculty members. You should also plan your finances, housing, and transportation. Additionally, you should familiarize yourself with the campus and its resources.

2. How can I prepare for the academic workload in grad school?

To prepare for the academic workload in grad school, you can start by improving your time management skills and creating a schedule. It is also helpful to brush up on your study skills and research methods. Additionally, you can reach out to current grad students or professors for advice on managing the workload.

3. What can I do to get involved in research as a grad student?

To get involved in research as a grad student, you can start by reaching out to professors in your department who are conducting research that aligns with your interests. You can also attend research seminars and conferences to network and learn about current research in your field. Additionally, you can apply for research assistant positions or seek out opportunities for independent research with faculty guidance.

4. How can I balance my personal life with the demands of grad school?

Balancing personal life with the demands of grad school can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize self-care and maintain a healthy work-life balance. This can include setting aside time for hobbies and activities outside of school, practicing stress management techniques, and seeking support from friends, family, or a counselor when needed.

5. What resources are available to help me succeed in grad school?

There are many resources available to help grad students succeed, including academic support services, such as tutoring and writing centers, career services, and mental health services. Additionally, many universities offer workshops, seminars, and networking events specifically for grad students. It is important to take advantage of these resources to support your academic and personal success during grad school.