Second order circuit with 2 capacitors to differential equation

In summary, Nick tried substituting equations for currents in the circuit, but got stuck. He then figured out how to solve the problem algebraically.
nicksname
hello i need help with this,

what is the differential equation for the voltage v2 (t).

http://www.imageurlhost.com/images/mc2qqp4kax37kvm51h1h_circuit.jpg

sorry for my english

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hello nicksname! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

i know how it works with inductors. to find differential equation v with KVL (Kirchhoff's current law). but I've never done it before for the capacitor to v2(t). writing. i know I need to use Kirchhoff's voltage law. but that it is.

Gah I need help with a similar problem and it's frustrating that it's not solved yet. I know how to substitute when there's an inductor and a capacitor, but it beats me how to do it when the energy savers are both the same circuit element.

So far I've got 2 helpful mesh equations (my problem has 3, but i used the last one to define the currents in terms of voltage derivatives) and I've replaced all the currents by Cdu/dt, but I don't know what to do next to get rid of the du/dt for the first capacitor. It looks like I could cancel out the Uc1s by substituting the equations into each other, but I need some other equation that I can't think of yet for the first du/dt I mentioned.

You may have two different currents in the two lower wires so you should set up two first order differential equations describing those. If you are required to have a single equation, you can combine those into a single second order equation for for either one of the currents.

HallsofIvy said:
You may have two different currents in the two lower wires so you should set up two first order differential equations describing those. If you are required to have a single equation, you can combine those into a single second order equation for for either one of the currents.

I don't think that can be done because there will be two functions in each of the differential equations.

I think I figured it out. When I did it (my problem has an extra loop, so you might have to do something slightly different), after I substituted everything I could I ended up with two mesh equations both in terms of V1, V2, dV2/dt, and one had dV1/dt, and then got stuck for a while. But then I figured out that you could solve the equation that did not have dV1/dt in it for V1, then I derived it to get another equation which put dV1/dt in terms of only V2 and dV2/dt. That gave me enough equations to solve the rest of the problem using only algebra.

Was this helpful? I can try solving the entire problem for you if you want.

What is a second order circuit?

A second order circuit is an electrical circuit that contains second-order differential equations. This means that the circuit contains inductors and/or capacitors, which store energy and cause the circuit to behave differently than a simple resistive circuit.

What are the components of a second order circuit?

A second order circuit can contain resistors, capacitors, and inductors. These components are connected in a series or parallel configuration to form a circuit. The behavior of these components is described by second-order differential equations.

What is the purpose of having 2 capacitors in a second order circuit?

The purpose of having 2 capacitors in a second order circuit is to increase the complexity and functionality of the circuit. By adding another capacitor, the circuit can store and release more energy, leading to more complex and interesting behaviors.

How do you write a differential equation for a second order circuit with 2 capacitors?

To write a differential equation for a second order circuit with 2 capacitors, you need to use Kirchhoff's laws and the capacitor equations. First, write an equation for the total current in the circuit. Then, use the capacitor equations to express the charge on each capacitor in terms of their respective voltages. Finally, differentiate these equations to obtain a second-order differential equation.

What are some applications of second order circuits with 2 capacitors?

Second order circuits with 2 capacitors have a wide range of applications in electronics and engineering. They can be used in filters, oscillators, amplifiers, and other circuit designs. They are also commonly used in control systems, signal processing, and communication systems.