Can You Ionize Hydrogen in This New Shoot the Electron Game?

In summary, the game "Shoot the electron" uses the coulomb force between protons and electrons to control the electron's direction. The game starts with a single proton and electron and moves on to H2- and on from there.
edguy99
Gold Member
New game "Shoot the electron"

Hi there,

I am interested in some feedback (not to harsh I hope) on a "shoot the electron" game.

http://www.animatedphysics.com/games/shoottheelectron.htm

Basically you are attempting to ionize hydrogen by shooting an electron at the electron within the hydrogen atom. To stop the electron from falling endlessly towards the proton, the proton is assumed to be a thin shell of positive charge 53 picometers in size and that electrons do not feel the coulomb force once they are inside the shell.

TIA.

Physics news on Phys.org

It has nothing to do with shooting the electron. Electron in an atom doesn't behave like a point particle. And hydrogen molecule is not a single atom, but H2.

Thanks for the feedback. Hydrogen comes in a number of forms (H, H-, H+, H2-, H2para, H2ortho and I think a fair amount of H3+ is found in space) certainly with H2 being the most common. The game starts with as single proton and electron (H) for level 1, level 2 moves on to H2- and on from there.

I agree the electron doesn't behave like a point particle, but at these scales, the most important force on it (and the only one used in the game) is the coulomb force. Magnetic forces, relativity and quantum concepts are certainly important but are beyond the scope of the game. This game is only modeling the coulomb force between multiple protons and electrons with a provision to keep the single proton/electron binding energy from going past 13.6 evolts, hence the shell at 53 picometers.

edguy99 said:
quantum concepts are certainly important but are beyond the scope of the game

Quantum effects are what governs the world on the scale of single atoms. If they are beyond the scope of the game, game has no scope.

You can as well ignore coulomb forces and concentrate on gravity only, it will make about as much sense.

Borek said:
Quantum effects are what governs the world on the scale of single atoms. If they are beyond the scope of the game, game has no scope.

You can as well ignore coulomb forces and concentrate on gravity only, it will make about as much sense.

At the bohr radius of 53 picometers, the binding energy of a stationary proton and electron is 13.6 evolts calculated purely from the coulomb force. Certainly gravity does not have an influence, but I don't think the coulomb force can be ignored.

edguy99 said:
I don't think the coulomb force can be ignored.

Apparently you missed the irony.

Borek said:
Apparently you missed the irony.

Apparently I did. Peace brother.

WRT to gravity, I have done a great many animations using gravity, but this is my first with the coulomb force using the picometer distance scale and the attosecond time scale. I am thinking of trying magnetic forces next combined with the coulomb force to see if I can do an old style tv animation where electrons accelerated by the coulomb force have their direction controlled by magnetic forces. I have read the electrons are only accelerated to about 1/2 c, so relativity should not be very relevant and can be (hopefully) ignored.

1. What is "New game Shoot the electron"?

"New game Shoot the electron" is a computer game that simulates a laboratory experiment where players shoot electrons at targets to complete various challenges.

2. How do I play "New game Shoot the electron"?

Players use a mouse or keyboard to control the direction and speed of the electron, and aim it at the targets on the screen to complete the challenges.

3. Is "New game Shoot the electron" educational?

Yes, "New game Shoot the electron" is designed to teach players about the behavior of electrons in a fun and interactive way. It can also be used as a learning tool in classrooms and laboratories.

4. Can I customize the challenges in "New game Shoot the electron"?

Yes, players can choose from a variety of pre-set challenges or create their own custom challenges by adjusting the difficulty level and target locations.

5. Is "New game Shoot the electron" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "New game Shoot the electron" is suitable for all ages, but younger players may require supervision or assistance from an adult to play the game.