How do I find the tension and angles in a spider's web?

In summary, the conversation is about a spider resting on a web and the forces acting on it. The gravitational force on the spider is 0.165 N and the tension in one strand is 0.112 N. The questions asked are about finding the tension in the other strand and the angles made by the strands with the horizontal. The solution involves setting up a force balance at the point where the strands meet and using trigonometry to solve for the unknowns.
madinsane

Homework Statement

A spider is resting after starting to spin its web. The gravitational force on the spider is 0.165 N on the junction of three strands of silk. The junction is supported by different tension forces in the two strands above it so that the resultant force on the junction is zero. The two sloping strands are perpendicular (the 2 strands above it), and we have chosen the x and y directions to be along them. The tension Tx is 0.112 N.

(a) Find the tension Ty.

N

(b) Find the angle the x-axis makes with the horizontal.

°

(c) Find the angle the y-axis makes with the horizontal.
°

My attempt at this:
For the first one I did
0.165-0.112-x=0
so x=0.053
which was wrong (because I thought the resultant force =0)
I think the second and third depend on the first.
but if I get the first maybe my answer to the second and third may be
cos^-1(y(the first one)/the magnitude)?
I am not sure where to start really, can someone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand the problem correctly, the spider sits on the vertical leg so it looks like the letter 'y' with the angle of the vee being 90 degrees.

If that is correct set up a force balance at the point where all 3 pieces come together. The vertical forces must sum to the weight of the spider and the horizontal forces must balance.

Looking at the equations, you will have 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

Hint: sin(alpha)=cos(90-alpha), etc

LawrenceC said:
If I understand the problem correctly, the spider sits on the vertical leg so it looks like the letter 'y' with the angle of the vee being 90 degrees.

If that is correct set up a force balance at the point where all 3 pieces come together. The vertical forces must sum to the weight of the spider and the horizontal forces must balance.

Looking at the equations, you will have 3 equations with 3 unknowns.

Hint: sin(alpha)=cos(90-alpha), etc

Thanks for replying...
unfortunately I didn't undersand anything from what you just said,
can you expand?
annd yes the V is 90degrees

Do you know what a force balance is? Do I have the geometry correct?

LawrenceC said:
Do you know what a force balance is? Do I have the geometry correct?

No I don't
Would be great if you could explain :D

Since nothing is moving in this problem, all forces must balance out. They must sum to zero so sum them in the vertical and horizontal directions. Write equations at the vee that represent this. When you do that you will wind up with three equations and 3 unknowns that you'll have to solve to determine the tension in the other leg of the vee.

LawrenceC said:
Since nothing is moving in this problem, all forces must balance out. They must sum to zero so sum them in the vertical and horizontal directions. Write equations at the vee that represent this. When you do that you will wind up with three equations and 3 unknowns that you'll have to solve to determine the tension in the other leg of the vee.

how do I sum them in the vertical and horizontal direction?

You would use trigonometry.

LawrenceC said:
You would use trigonometry.

can you be more specific?

You do not sound serious to me. You'll have to find someone else to help.

1. What is a resultant force?

A resultant force is the single force that has the same effect as all the individual forces acting on an object. It is the overall force that is responsible for the motion and direction of an object.

2. How is resultant force calculated?

Resultant force can be calculated by adding or subtracting the vector components of all the individual forces acting on an object. The magnitude and direction of the resultant force can be determined using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent.

3. What is the importance of resultant force?

Resultant force is important because it determines the motion and direction of an object. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, and is essential in fields such as physics, engineering, and mechanics.

4. How do angles affect resultant force?

The direction and magnitude of resultant force are affected by the angles between the individual forces. A larger angle between forces will result in a smaller resultant force, while a smaller angle will result in a larger resultant force. For example, two forces acting in the same direction will have a larger resultant force than two forces acting in opposite directions.

5. Can resultant force be zero?

Yes, resultant force can be zero if all the individual forces acting on an object cancel each other out. This means that the object will not experience any acceleration or change in motion. It is important to note that even if the resultant force is zero, the individual forces may still be present and balancing each other out.