Calculating Time for Cockroaches to Meet with Different Accelerations

• Thread starter chonny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the problem involves two cockroaches running towards each other at constant acceleration. The first cockroach has an acceleration of 0.20 m/s^2 while the second has an acceleration of 0.12 m/s^2. Using the equation x=x_0+v_0*t+at^2/2, we can find that it takes approximately 19.36 seconds for the two cockroaches to meet at a distance of 60 cm. So, the answer is 19.36 seconds.
chonny
Please help me...I've been struggling for a long time over this following problem...

Some cockroaches can run as fast as 1.5 m/s. Suppose that two cockroaches are separated by a distance of 60 cm and that they begin to run toward each other at the same moment. Both insects have constant acceleration until they meet. The first cockroach has an acceleration of 0.20 m/s^2 in one direction and the second one has an acceleration of 0.12 m/s^2 in the opposite direction. How much time passes before the two insects bump into each other?

Please give me the answer and the steps leading to the answer as soon as possible...I am most grateful :wink:

If not...I will kill myself

Physics news on Phys.org
a_1=0.2
a_2=0.12
v_01=v_02=0
x=x_0+v_0*t+at^2/2
x_1=0+0+a_1*t^2/2=0.2*t^2/2
x_2=0+0+a_2*t^2/2=0.12*t^2/2
x_1+x_2=60
0.2*t^2/2+0.12*t^2/2=60
t=19.36 sec

p.s
dont kill yourself :smile:

thank you ...*puts down shotgun*

1. How is the time calculated for cockroaches to meet with different accelerations?

The time is calculated using the equation t = √(2d/a), where t is the time, d is the distance between the two cockroaches, and a is the acceleration.

2. What units should be used for distance and acceleration in the calculation?

The distance should be measured in meters (m) and the acceleration should be measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. Can this equation be used for cockroaches in any environment?

Yes, this equation can be used for cockroaches in any environment as long as the distance and acceleration are measured in the appropriate units.

4. How accurate is this calculation in predicting the meeting time of cockroaches?

This calculation is fairly accurate, but it is based on ideal conditions and may not account for factors such as obstacles or changes in acceleration.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the time it takes for cockroaches to meet?

Yes, there may be other factors such as the size and speed of the cockroaches, as well as external factors like wind or friction, that can also affect the time it takes for them to meet.