Resolving vectors problem (I guess)

• Thread starter bubakazouba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vectors
In summary, the correct answer for the given problem is B. This is because even though the wheels exert a backward force on the road, the reaction of the road is forward. This is not related to turning, but rather the normal contact force. If the car was not accelerating, the answer would still be B.
bubakazouba

Homework Statement

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj597/bubakazouba/prob_zps06224e98.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought it would be D because the wheels exert a backward force on the road and the reaction of the road if forward, but I got confused when I knew that the answer was B, I mean its not like turning or anything why is it B?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the car was not accelerating, just sitting there, what would be your answer? Does that help?

it would be.. yea I got it ,I totally forgot about the normal contact force.
Thank you very much :)

What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

How do you add or subtract vectors?

To add or subtract vectors, you first need to determine their components (magnitude and direction). Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction rules to find the resultant vector.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have magnitude, while vector quantities have both magnitude and direction. Examples of scalar quantities include speed and temperature, while examples of vector quantities include velocity and force.

How do you resolve a vector into its components?

To resolve a vector into its components, you need to use trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, and tangent) and the vector's magnitude and direction. This will give you the horizontal and vertical components of the vector.

Why is resolving vectors important?

Resolving vectors allows us to break down a complex vector into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. This is especially useful in physics and engineering, where multiple forces acting in different directions need to be considered.