Censored for Inquiring about the Wrong Science: A Forum Story

• Thread starter DkP
  • Start date
In summary, the forum is a great resource for learning about science, but PMM discussions are not allowed.
DkP
so a fella signs up to the forum to gain some knowledge in the field of science and is immediately censored for asking about the wrong kinds of science:

"Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science"

my question: why can't the flowing water between the exit tube and the funnel flask[of a Boyle flask] not be utilized to turn a small turbine?

"We do not permit discussions of PMMs here -- they are a waste of time."

i wasn't seeking to open up debate on the matter i simply wanted to know why it does not work and instead of an open sharing scientific community I've been slapped down for daring to show curiosity in the wrong area!

thank you all for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't quite see your issue. You were politely told that perpetual motion machine discussions are not allowed on this forum, and given several links that would answer your question if you take the time to read them.

DkP said:
i wasn't seeking to open up debate on the matter i simply wanted to know why it does not work and instead of an open sharing scientific community I've been slapped down for daring to show curiosity in the wrong area!
You most certainly were not "slapped down". You weren't even given a warning, much less an infraction: you were given helpful links and a notice that we don't discuss that kind of thing here.

And to be perfectly honest, this isn't a difficult one to find on your own, by googling yourself instead of asking about it: the first two links returned by google are to two wiki pages that describe different formulations of the reason it could work, with explanations for why they are wrong.

Last edited:
And to add, you should know our policy when you JOINED! This ban on any kind of PMM discussion is clearly spelled out when you read our Rules and the list of banned topics. So to complain about it is puzzling when you are fully aware of what we allow and do not allow. That's like complaining that a vegetarian restaurant doesn't serve any meat, when you fully are aware of what it is when you entered.

Zz.

DkP said:
so a fella signs up to the forum to gain some knowledge in the field of science and is immediately censored
You were not censored, you were informed that PMM discussions are against the rules and were told why. That's akin to saying that if a football discussion forum didn't let you talk about rugby they are suppressing your free speech and frankly that's just an insult to people who genuinely suffer oppressive censorship.
DkP said:
for asking about the wrong kinds of science
Pseudo science isn't the wrong kind of science, at best it's wrong science.
DkP said:
"Our mission is to provide a place for people (whether students, professional scientists, or others interested in science) to learn and discuss science"

my question: why can't the flowing water between the exit tube and the funnel flask[of a Boyle flask] not be utilized to turn a small turbine?

"We do not permit discussions of PMMs here -- they are a waste of time."

thank you all for your time.
You were not slapped down at all, as has been pointed out you didn't even receive any form of penalty, not even a warning. On top of that you were provided with links that if you had followed would have provided you with an answer.

This site is a great resource for learning about science, if you never come back then IMO you've given up on a great chance for no good reason.

Your question begins with an incorrect assumption (flowing water). There is no water flow.

To quote ZapperZ:
ZapperZ said:
We are trying to discuss something based on a premise that has not been shown to be valid. Thus, this is another "When did you stop beating your wife?" question.

1. What is "Censored for Inquiring about the Wrong Science: A Forum Story" about?

"Censored for Inquiring about the Wrong Science: A Forum Story" is a fictional story that explores the consequences of asking questions and challenging traditional beliefs in the scientific community.

2. Who wrote "Censored for Inquiring about the Wrong Science: A Forum Story"?

"Censored for Inquiring about the Wrong Science: A Forum Story" was written by an anonymous author.

3. Is this story based on a true event?

No, "Censored for Inquiring about the Wrong Science: A Forum Story" is a work of fiction.

4. What is the message of "Censored for Inquiring about the Wrong Science: A Forum Story"?

The story highlights the importance of questioning and challenging established ideas in science, and the potential consequences of doing so.

5. Are there any controversial topics discussed in the story?

Yes, the story touches upon controversial topics such as censorship, scientific bias, and the suppression of new ideas in the scientific community.