Cancelling the Earths magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a researcher's experiment to be conducted in a zero magnetic field, using a solenoid with a specific diameter, length, and number of turns. The discussion revolves around determining the necessary current for the solenoid, with some initial errors made and corrected through further discussion with the instructor.
deborahcurrie

Homework Statement

A researcher would like to perform an experiment in a zero magnetic field, which means that the field of the Earth must be cancelled. Suppose the experiment is done inside a solenoid of diameter 1.0{\rm m} , length 5.0{\rm m} , with a total of 9000 turns of wire. The solenoid is oriented to produce a field that opposes and exactly cancels the field of the earth.
What current is needed in the solenoid's wires?

Homework Equations

We use this for B=μ0*I*(N/L) for solenoids.
Bearth=5E-5T
μ0=1.257E-6
N=9000
L=5.0 m

The Attempt at a Solution

I=(B*L)/μu0*N)=(5E-5*5)/(9000*5) = 0.02209=2.2E-2
Mastering Physics says this is incorrect. What did I miss?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for I looks good. Trouble with the substitution, I think. Looks like the number for u0 didn't go in and there is an extra 5.

That was my bad. My actual equation looks like:

(5E-5*5)/(1.257E-6*9000)=0.02209 which is wrong according to Mastering physics. Doesn't like 2.2E-2 either.

deborahcurrie said:
Bearth=5E-5T
Earth's field varies greatly from place to place. Is this the value you were told to use?

I talked with the instructor and found my error -- I just needed to adjust for units the question required. I usually catch this, but not this time. Thanks for your replies anyways. It's always good to know there is a safety line!

deborahcurrie said:
I talked with the instructor and found my error -- I just needed to adjust for units the question required. I usually catch this, but not this time. Thanks for your replies anyways. It's always good to know there is a safety line!
OK, I did wonder about the units. In your post it says e.g. "diameter 1.0{\rm m}". LaTex problem?
PS - I guess you mean the units the answer was required in, like mA?

Not sure what a La Tex problem is -- but you are correct on the PS

1. What would happen if the Earth's magnetic field was cancelled?

If the Earth's magnetic field was cancelled, the planet would be vulnerable to harmful solar and cosmic radiation. This could lead to an increase in health risks for living organisms and damage to sensitive electronic equipment.

2. Can the Earth's magnetic field be cancelled intentionally?

Currently, there is no technology or method that can intentionally cancel the Earth's magnetic field. The field is generated by the planet's core and is a natural and essential part of our planet's functioning.

3. Is the Earth's magnetic field weakening?

Scientists have observed that the Earth's magnetic field has been weakening over the past few centuries. However, this is a natural and cyclical process and there is no evidence to suggest that it will completely disappear.

4. How does the Earth's magnetic field protect us?

The Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield, deflecting harmful solar and cosmic radiation away from the planet. This protects us from the damaging effects of these high-energy particles.

5. Are there any negative effects of cancelling the Earth's magnetic field?

Yes, cancelling the Earth's magnetic field would have significant negative effects on our planet and its inhabitants. It would increase our exposure to harmful radiation, disrupt animal migration patterns, and potentially cause damage to our technology and infrastructure.