Conceptual doubts about capacitors and dipole antennas

In summary, capacitors and dipole antennas both involve a power supply connected to two conducting objects, resulting in the charging of both conductors with equal charges of opposite sign. The potential difference created between the conductors attracts charges to flow from one to the other, creating a flow of current. The larger capacitance of a capacitor distinguishes it from an open circuit, and a dipole antenna can be seen as a capacitor with a very small capacitance. Additionally, constructing a dipole antenna with capacitor end caps can result in a constant current configuration, which is often used in calculations.
pc2-brazil
I have some conceptual questions regarding capacitors and dipole antennas.

Consider a parallel plate capacitor made with two conducting plates, initially uncharged. If I connect each plate to a different terminal of the battery, charge will start to flow from one plate to another.

Consider also a dipole antenna that consists of two conducting rods connected to both terminals of an AC (alternating current) supply. In this case, current will also flow from one rod to the other one through the battery, and both rods will become charged with charges of opposite sign, but, since the power supply supplies AC, the signs of each rod will alternate in time.

My questions are, basically:

1) Is there a connection between the charging up of a capacitor and the dipole antenna? It seems so, because both consist of a power supply that, when connected two conducting objects, charges up both conductors with equal charges of opposite sign.
2) Why exactly does charge flow from a plate (in the case of the capacitor) or rod (in the case of the dipole antenna) to the other one? For the case of capacitors, the book that I'm reading only mentions that it is because "the plates are equipotential", but I'm not sure why this would force charges to flow from one plate to the other. For the case of antennas, the book doesn't give any further clarification.
3) What is special about a capacitor that makes it different from an open circuit? Suppose I connect two copper wires to the terminals of a battery, but I don't close the circuit. Will both wires get equal charges of opposite polarities, like a capacitor?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
A dipole antenna is like a capacitor with a very small capacitance.

2) Why exactly does charge flow from a plate (in the case of the capacitor) or rod (in the case of the dipole antenna) to the other one?
You change the potential on those plates/antennas. You create a potential difference, which attracts charges.

3) What is special about a capacitor that makes it different from an open circuit?
The larger capacitance (can be several orders of magnitude).

To further discuss the connections between the two:

Also note that the simple dipole antenna (approx. [itex]L < \frac{\lambda}{10}[/itex] where L is the length of the antenna) constructed with an open-circuited wire with battery at the center actually produces a triangular current distribution.

If the dipole axis is in the 'z' direction, the formula for the current would be: [tex]I(z) = I_{o} (1 - \frac{2 |z|}{L})[/tex]

currentplot.jpg

To get the constant current often used in short dipole calculations in many texts what you would actually want to do would be to construct an antenna with these capacitor end caps in order to produce that constant current configuration. This slight distinction of antenna is covered in entry level E.E. books, but I don't recall it in Griffith's Electrodynamics (the more or less comparable physics text on the subject.)

I think the resultant fields of the open-circuited versus capacitor nuance is only different by like a factor or two or something (if I remember correctly), but I didn't check.

1. What is the purpose of a capacitor in a circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. Its purpose in a circuit is to block direct current (DC) while allowing alternating current (AC) to pass through. It can also be used to filter out specific frequencies and smooth out fluctuations in voltage.

2. How does a capacitor store energy?

A capacitor is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged. This creates an electric field between the plates, which stores energy in the form of potential energy.

3. What is the role of a dielectric material in a capacitor?

The dielectric material in a capacitor serves as an insulator between the two plates, preventing them from coming into direct contact. It also affects the capacitance of the capacitor, as different materials have different permittivity values that determine how much charge can be stored.

4. How do capacitors and dipole antennas work together?

In a dipole antenna, two conductive elements are separated by a small gap. Capacitors can be used to tune the antenna by adjusting the gap, thus changing the capacitance and resonant frequency. Additionally, capacitors are used in matching networks to match the impedance of the antenna to the transmission line.

5. Can a capacitor store an unlimited amount of energy?

No, a capacitor has a maximum energy storage capacity determined by its capacitance, voltage, and size. If too much energy is stored, the dielectric material can break down, causing the capacitor to fail. Additionally, leakage current can slowly discharge the capacitor over time.