If a rock is dropped off of a sea cliff

• Thread starter kbrowne29
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a sea cliff by using the time it takes for the sound of a dropped rock to reach the water and the speed of sound. The equations for the rock falling and the sound returning are correctly written, but the equations need to be solved simultaneously to find the time it takes for the sound to reach the top of the cliff. Once the time is found, it can be plugged into the equations to find the height of the cliff.
kbrowne29
If a rock is dropped off of a sea cliff, and the sound of the rock hitting the water is heard 3.4 seconds later, how tall is the cliff, assuming the speed of sound is 340 m/s.
What I've been trying to do is break the problem up into 2 parts, one for the rock going down towards the sea, and one for the speed of sound going up the cliff. The problem is that I can't seem to substitute the right things into the equation x = x0 + v0t + .5at^2. For the going down part, the equation looks like the following:
X= 0 + 0 + (.5)(9.8)t^2. And for the going up part, I'm not sure whether the initial velocity of the speed of sound is 340 m/s, or whether it is zero. If the initial speed were 340 m/s, then the equation would (?) look like the following:
x = 0 + 340t + 0.
This is where I get stuck, and I don't know what to do with the two equations. I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sound does not accelerate and is not affected by gravity!

Your calculation for the rock falling: X= 0 + 0 + (.5)(9.8)t^2 is correct. For the sound coming back up, X= 340t.

What you can do is write these as X= 0 + 0 + (.5)(9.8)t1^2,
X= 340 t2 and t1+ t2= 3.4.

You can solve the two equations (.5)(9.8)t1^2= 340 t2 and t1+ t2= 3.4 for t1 or t2 separately and then use the equations to find X.

Thank you very much for the help; your idea of creating the equation v1+ v2 = 3.4 is exactly what I needed to finish the problem off. I hadn't previously thought about solving the equations silmultaneously like that.

1. What happens to the rock when it is dropped off of a sea cliff?

When a rock is dropped off of a sea cliff, it will fall towards the ground due to the force of gravity acting on it. As it falls, it will accelerate until it reaches its maximum velocity, known as the terminal velocity.

2. Will the rock hit the bottom of the sea or continue falling?

The rock will most likely hit the bottom of the sea, unless there are strong winds or currents that could potentially carry it away from the cliff.

3. How fast will the rock be falling when it reaches the sea?

The speed at which the rock falls will depend on various factors such as its size, shape, and weight. However, the average speed at which objects fall due to gravity is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared.

4. What happens to the rock's velocity as it falls?

The rock's velocity will increase as it falls due to the constant acceleration caused by gravity. However, once it reaches its terminal velocity, its velocity will remain constant until it hits the surface of the sea.

5. Can the height of the sea cliff affect the rock's fall?

Yes, the height of the sea cliff will affect the rock's fall as it will determine the initial potential energy that the rock possesses. The higher the cliff, the more potential energy the rock will have, and the longer it will take to reach the bottom of the sea.