Solving an Ionic Equation: Na2Co3 + H2S04 -> Na2S04 + H20 + C02

• Thread starter dagg3r
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of writing an ionic equation for a given chemical equation. The main focus is on breaking down each compound into its cation and anion to identify spectator ions and active ions. The conversation also touches on the use of state symbols to represent the physical state of each substance in the reaction.
dagg3r
hi can somebody show me how to do this ionic equation thanks.

first of all the equation is

Na2Co3 + H2s04 -> Na2S04 + H20 + C02

i think the main parts are H20(l) and CO2(g) how do i do an ionic equation would i do

Co32- + 2H+ -> H20(l) + Co2(g)

please tell me if this is right thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You want to break down each component on either side to its cation and anion. This will help you identify spectator ions and the active ions in the process.

This is a simplier problem since each compound is formed of two major ions, for example the break down for [tex] Na_2CO_3 [/tex] would be [tex] 2Na^+ + CO_3^-[/tex]

Go through the rest of the equation breaking the molecule up into its ions. Be careful on the products side, as some of them can be tricky.

check to see if active ions

ok i did that before i just want to know is Co2 gas and h20 water the active ions on the right hand side as Na2So4 is aqueous so it is a spectator?

Since [itex] CO_{2} [/itex] is a gas (so it doesn't stay in the aqueous solution),it think your reaction boils down to

[tex] CO_{3}^{2-}+2H^{+}\rightarrow CO_{2}\uparrow +H_{2}O [/tex]

U see,i didn't write the spectator ions (the sulphate & the sodium ion).

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
[tex] CO_{3}^{2-}+2H^{+}\rightarrow CO_{2}\uparrow +H_{2}O [/tex]
And the arrow is standard practise to show that a gas is realized?

The Bob (2004 ©)

Generally you subscript the state of the ion/substance. CO3 is in solution so it's (aq), H+ is also in solution so it's (aq), CO2 is a gas so it's (g), water is a liquid so it's (l).

I've never had to write this before, but what if alcohol was mixed with water. Would the alcohol be (l) or (aq)?

Maybe the alcohol was in solid state before disolving it in water,so that "l" would not be accurate...:wink:

Daniel.

Alcohol freezes at a much lower temperature than water, so if you put solid alcohol in water you would get a weird solid alcohol >> liquid alcohol >> solid water ball that wouldn't exactly be "dissolved" in any sense. The same thing happens with dry ice in water.

That's not as interesting as the following case:pour pure (ethylic) alcohol at -20° in water.Should one get an aqueous solution of alcohol...?

Daniel.

1. What is an ionic equation?

An ionic equation is a chemical equation that shows the dissociation of ionic compounds into their constituent ions in aqueous solution.

2. How do you solve an ionic equation?

To solve an ionic equation, you need to first write out the balanced molecular equation. Then, identify the ionic compounds and break them down into their respective ions. Finally, balance the charges on both sides of the equation by adding any necessary coefficients.

3. What is the purpose of solving an ionic equation?

The purpose of solving an ionic equation is to determine the products formed when two or more ionic compounds react with each other. This helps in understanding the chemical reactions and predicting the outcome of such reactions.

4. Why is it important to balance an ionic equation?

Balancing an ionic equation is important because it ensures that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation, thus satisfying the law of conservation of mass. It also helps in accurately predicting the products of a reaction.

5. Can you explain the reaction between Na2Co3 and H2S04 using this ionic equation?

Yes, the reaction between Na2Co3 and H2S04 can be explained using this ionic equation. It shows that when these two compounds react, they form Na2S04, H20, and C02. This means that sodium carbonate (Na2Co3) and sulfuric acid (H2S04) combine to form sodium sulfate (Na2S04), water (H20), and carbon dioxide (C02).