Mastering Significant Figures in Logarithms: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary: Can you clarify?In summary, significant figures are important in logarithms, with the characteristic representing the digits to the left of the decimal point and the mantissa representing the digits to the right. The number of significant figures in the mantissa should match the original number. However, in anti-logarithms, the number of significant figures in the mantissa may differ from the characteristic. When rounding to four significant figures, odd numbers are rounded up to the nearest even number while even numbers followed by a 5 and nothing else are left alone as a "1" and the 5 is dropped. The number to the left of the decimal point is not counted as part of the mantissa.
mathzeroh
significant figures help needed badly!

hows everyone doing in this fine evening? :biggrin:

ok i just had some questions on "sig figs" as the pros call it (unfortunately that's not me :frown: :cry: ) ok, i'll try to explain as clearly as i can here:

in this manual i have that explains sig figs, it says the following about Siginificant Figures in Logarithms:

...The characteristic consists of the digits to the lft of the decimal point and the mantissa consists of the digits to the right of the decimal point. the mantissa of a log should have the same number of sig. figs. as does the original number. Some esamples are:

log 2=0.3 (1sig fig in 2)
log 2.0=0.30 (2 sig figs in 2.0)
log 2.00=0.300 (3 sig figs in 2.00
)
log 2.0 X 10^4=4.30 (2 sig figs in 2.0)
log 2.00 X 10^(-5)=-4.699 (3 sig figs in 2.00)

now my questions concern the red bold faced part of the above examples. if it says that there's "3 sig figs in 2.00" then why does it report a four sig fig carrying number -4.699?? :yuck: :uhh: :confused:

it said that the same rule was applied to antilogs, but again, same problem a little further down in the examples:

... antilog 3.4771 = 3.000 X 10^3 (4 sig figs in the mantissa)

uh yea i see that but so what?? isn't it supposed to have FIVE sig figs because of the "characteristic"??

also, can somebody please tell me if i did these correctly:

Round to four sig figs:

273.15 -> 273.2 *(bcuz the "1" is an odd number, you would round up to the nearest even number, right? and if it was already an even number followed by a 5 and nothing else following the 5, you would leave it alone as a "1" and just drop the five, right??
12.652 -> 12.65
19.9743 -> 19.97
4.32156 -> 4.322
0.019807 -> 0.01981

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathzeroh said:
hows everyone doing in this fine evening? :biggrin:

ok i just had some questions on "sig figs" as the pros call it (unfortunately that's not me :frown: :cry: ) ok, i'll try to explain as clearly as i can here:

in this manual i have that explains sig figs, it says the following about Siginificant Figures in Logarithms:

...The characteristic consists of the digits to the lft of the decimal point and the mantissa consists of the digits to the right of the decimal point. the mantissa of a log should have the same number of sig. figs. as does the original number. Some esamples are:

log 2=0.3 (1sig fig in 2)
log 2.0=0.30 (2 sig figs in 2.0)
log 2.00=0.300 (3 sig figs in 2.00
)
log 2.0 X 10^4=4.30 (2 sig figs in 2.0)
log 52.00 X 10^(-5)=-4.699 (3 sig figs in 2.00)

now my questions concern the red bold faced part of the above examples. if it says that there's "3 sig figs in 2.00" then why does it report a four sig fig carrying number -4.699?? :yuck: :uhh: :confused:
The mantissa (digits after the decimal) should have the same number of digits: 699 is 3 digits.

it said that the same rule was applied to antilogs, but again, same problem a little further down in the examples:

... antilog 3.4771 = 3.000 X 10^3 (4 sig figs in the mantissa)

uh yea i see that but so what?? isn't it supposed to have FIVE sig figs because of the "characteristic"??

According to the rule at the top of your posted it is supposed to have 4 digits because the mantissa has 4 digits (you shouldn't be taking the number of digits of the characteristic)

also, can somebody please tell me if i did these correctly:

Round to four sig figs:

273.15 -> 273.2 *(bcuz the "1" is an odd number, you would round up to the nearest even number, right? and if it was already an even number followed by a 5 and nothing else following the 5, you would leave it alone as a "1" and just drop the five, right??
12.652 -> 12.65
19.9743 -> 19.97
4.32156 -> 4.322
0.019807 -> 0.01981
The above look good to me.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

OH, so ur not supposed to count the number to the left of the decimal point, only the number to the right are considered part of the mantissa, the quantity of which is determined by the amount of sig. figs. in the characteristic? right? :)

mathzeroh said:
OH, so ur not supposed to count the number to the left of the decimal point, only the number to the right are considered part of the mantissa,

Yes.

the quantity of which is determined by the amount of sig. figs. in the characteristic? right? :)

I don't understand what you mean here.

What are significant figures?

Significant figures, also known as significant digits, are the digits in a number that convey meaningful information about the measurement and its precision.

Why are significant figures important in science?

Significant figures are important in science because they help to communicate the precision and accuracy of a measurement. This is crucial for recording and comparing data accurately.

How do I determine the number of significant figures in a measurement?

To determine the number of significant figures in a measurement, follow these rules:

• Non-zero digits are always significant.
  • Zeroes between non-zero digits are significant.
  • Trailing zeroes after a decimal point are significant.
  • Leading zeroes before a non-zero digit are not significant.
  • Trailing zeroes in a whole number without a decimal point are not significant.

How do I round a number to the correct number of significant figures?

To round a number to the correct number of significant figures, follow these rules:

• If the digit to be dropped is less than 5, simply drop it and all following digits.
  • If the digit to be dropped is 5 or greater, round up the preceding digit.
  • If the digit to be dropped is exactly 5, round up the preceding digit if it is odd, and leave it unchanged if it is even.

Can I use significant figures in calculations?

Yes, it is important to use significant figures in calculations to maintain accuracy and precision. The result of a calculation should have the same number of significant figures as the measurement with the least number of significant figures used in the calculation.