How much math for fluid dynamics?

In summary, a graduate level fluid mechanics course involves a good amount of vector calculus and tensor algebra, as well as linear algebra. However, more advanced courses may also require knowledge of solving PDEs, integral equations, finite element method, boundary element method, Green's functions, and other mathematical concepts such as statistics, perturbation methods, Fourier and Laplace analysis. Some topics may even touch on real and functional analysis, abstract algebra, and topology.
member 428835
hey all

im taking a graduate level fluid mechanics course. we are using a good amount of vector calculus (expected) and also tensor algebra, leading into the kronecker delta and Levi-Civita symbol (shockingly never saw these before, though implicitly used them). it seems linear algebra is being introduced.

for those of you who have studied far in the field, how much math is required for masters and phd level courses? i only ask because my undergrad is math, where i covered linear algebra, pde's, and vector calculus; am i missing anything or do i have the basic "tool kit" that advanced coursework in fluids requires?

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you get really hard-core, there will be solving PDEs out your ying-yang eventually. In the graduate courses, don't be surprised if you have to know something about solving integral equations (differential equations' lesser known, more evil cousin). Linear algebra is the least of your worries.

In solving actual fluid mechanics problems, you'll probably also get some exposure to the finite element method and the boundary element method. Both methods rely on using assumed solutions to the fluid mechanics equations and then optimizing them to account for the actual geometry of the flow. Green's functions will probably also make an appearance at some point.

It is one of the more math-heavy branches of engineering, that's for sure. Also depending on what branch of fluid mechanics you study, you may end up needing a fair amount of statistics, perturbation methods, Fourier and Laplace analysis and more. If you really start delving deeper into some topics, I've started running across topics that start scratching the surface of things like real and functional analysis, abstract algebra and topology, though these so far seem to be pretty niche applications.

1. How much math do I need to know for fluid dynamics?

To understand fluid dynamics, you will need a strong foundation in calculus and differential equations. This includes topics such as vector calculus, partial derivatives, and differential equations. You will also need to have a solid understanding of algebra and trigonometry.

2. Can I study fluid dynamics without a strong math background?

It is not recommended to study fluid dynamics without a strong math background. Since fluid dynamics is a highly mathematical subject, a strong understanding of math is necessary to fully comprehend the concepts and equations involved.

3. Do I need to know specific branches of math for fluid dynamics?

Yes, you will need to have a good understanding of calculus, specifically vector calculus, as well as differential equations. Some knowledge of linear algebra and complex analysis may also be beneficial in understanding certain aspects of fluid dynamics.

4. Can I use computer software to handle the math in fluid dynamics?

While there are many software programs available for numerical simulations and calculations in fluid dynamics, a strong understanding of the underlying mathematical concepts is still necessary for accurate and meaningful results. Therefore, it is important to have a good grasp of the math involved even if you plan on using software for calculations.

5. Is it possible to learn fluid dynamics without a strong math background?

It is not recommended to learn fluid dynamics without a strong math background. While some basic concepts may be understood without strong mathematical knowledge, a deep understanding and application of fluid dynamics requires a strong understanding of mathematics.