Calculating Bore and Stroke for a CO2 or Air Powered Engine

In summary, the author is considering pneumatic motors, discusses potential issues, and seeks advice.
blkexp98
To give a little background I have machine tool training but not much other than what I have taught myself in general physics. Its a VERY interesting subject for me and I have thought about going back to college just to take a course or two relating to it. I come up with various ideas I would like to test out but can't always get my head around good ways to plan a build calculation wise. One of my current projects is a CO2 or Air powered engine. I am familiar with measuring and caution involved with high pressure but could use some help in sizing calculations for components.

I would like to try to make a small engine that uses pressurized air (or CO2) as the working fluid but am having some issues getting started with designs. I have been reading a good bit on the bore and stroke's effect on performance but many of the calculations I could find deal with IC engines. How do I calculate for a certain pressure input how bores and strokes will react power and RPM wise? I know the shorter stroke will tend to have a faster RPM but lower torque but how do you come up with an optimal number to start testing at? For example let's say I have 1500 PSI (gauge or absolute whatever is easier to calculate) as an input and want the engine to comfortably put out 60 HP @ 2200 rpms in one cylinder with (60 x 5252)/2200= ~143 ft/lbs torque.

Another big issue is the flow rate in order to fill that combination of bore and stroke in the right amount of time. So 2200/60=~36.6667 rps and 1s divided by 36.6667 is ~.0273. If I did that right one revolution happens about every .0273 seconds. This means that I have half that time (now 13.65ms) to get the pressure in the cylinder for the power stroke. I need to know how to figure the bore and stroke combination in order to finish this calculation though.

All of this is just an example to get some formulas started but was the best place I knew to start.

Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are considering pneumatic motors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pneumatic_motor

Expanding air, CO2 or steam are all the same concept.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_engine

Better efficiency is obtained by compounding the cylinders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_engine

Have you considered turbines rather than piston engines. Also with pneumatics you can apply pressure alternately to both sides of the piston. By running two cylinders in quadrature you have a smoother torque with a smaller flywheel, equivalent to a 4 cylinder IC engine. If your piston rod is a large diameter you can make a two stage compound engine since piston area is significantly different between the two sides.

What does 'running two cylinders in quadrature' mean? 'Quadrature' is the process of finding or calculating an area.

Quadrature also means 90°. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_phase
The sine and cosine functions are in quadrature.

With one piston and crank there are two dead spots, at TDC and BDC, where the motor cannot start without assistance. By having a second crank at 90° and double sided pistons you have no dead spots and smoother running.

SteamKing said:
'Quadrature' is the process of finding or calculating an area.

It also means "90 degrees out of phase", as in the "(in) phase" and "quadrature" components of a
complex electrical impedance, etc.

So with two double-ended cylinders "in quadrature", you can get four power strokes per revolution of the crank.

Thanks for the replies. I have considered turbines but I don't know enough about them to build them and transfer the power to something else. Turbines seem a little less forgiving and have to be balanced better than i think I can do right now.

I have thought about the pneumatic cylinders and how they work but wasn't sure how well I could seal the shaft for one and how well it would hold up with a constant high speed movement in and out. I guess you could just reverse the way a set of piston rings works and mount the rings in a fixed position and have the shaft move against that. I did a quick look around and to get a high pressure cylinder it looks like I ma have to look into more hydraulic cylinders but that brings me back to the speed issue and how much drag thy have. Depending on their seals since they are made to work with oil there could be a lubrication issue as well. That was the nice thing about pneumatic cylinders. I do really like the idea of using the cylinder and giving it pressure in both directions. Thats pretty much how an old train steam engine worked right? I wonder how hard that would be to turn into a rotational force in a short distance of less than a foot?

Anyone have any ideas on how to start sizing the bore and stroke?

To start you must know the gas pressure available and the torque required.
The gas pressure will act on the area of the piston and result in an axial force.
The stroke is equal to twice the crankshaft offset which converts the linear force into torque.

You could make either the stroke or bore a controlled variable and solve for the other.
There is a range of many solutions.
If you know the ratio of bore to stroke then you can solve for both bore and stroke.
Play with the equations and juggle the numbers.

With compound cylinders you have more degrees of freedom.
The efficiency of the engine will be a function of the intermediate pressure(s).
You will need to juggle the equations and numbers again to find an optimum solution.

Last edited:

What is the purpose of designing an air and CO2 engine?

The purpose of designing an air and CO2 engine is to create a more efficient and environmentally-friendly form of transportation or power generation. These engines use compressed air and carbon dioxide as fuel sources, which reduces emissions and reliance on fossil fuels.

How does an air and CO2 engine work?

An air and CO2 engine works by compressing air and carbon dioxide using a compressor. The compressed gases are then released into a combustion chamber, where they expand and generate energy to power the engine. This process eliminates the need for traditional fuel combustion, reducing emissions and increasing efficiency.

What are the benefits of using an air and CO2 engine?

There are several benefits to using an air and CO2 engine, including reduced emissions, increased efficiency, and lower operating costs. These engines also have fewer moving parts, making them more reliable and easier to maintain.

Can air and CO2 engines be used in all types of vehicles?

Currently, air and CO2 engines are primarily used in small vehicles such as bicycles and scooters. However, there is ongoing research and development to incorporate these engines into larger vehicles such as cars and trucks. As technology continues to advance, the potential for using air and CO2 engines in a variety of vehicles increases.

What are the challenges of designing an air and CO2 engine?

One of the main challenges of designing an air and CO2 engine is finding a way to store and release compressed gases efficiently. The use of high-pressure tanks or other storage methods can add weight and complexity to the engine. Additionally, finding a way to control and regulate the release of gases to ensure optimal combustion is also a challenge that engineers face in the design process.