Vehicle Instantaneous Torque in initial motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum torque required for an electric car to begin moving, as well as potential methods for measuring this torque and reducing static friction. The person asking for help is designing a propulsion system for a college project and is focused on maximizing fuel efficiency. There is also mention of using a spring balance or a smaller motor to measure the starting force needed.
Timeforheroes0
Hi,
I'm designing a propulsion system for an electric car as a part of a college project. I'm trying to find the minimum torque needed so the car can begin to move, I'm assuming this will be the greatest torque required for motor selection, provided the vehicle will accelerate relatively constantly and then maintain a constant velocity.
There will be direct transmission so the only loading I can think of in the car is the static bearing loading that must be overcome. Assuming I know the acceleration of the vehicle, How would I find this torque?
Thanks for any help..

Engineering news on Phys.org
The torque will have to initially overcome the total static friction. That has not been specified.

Can you measure the starting force needed with a spring balance?

If you put a vibrator or an unbalanced smaller motor on the vehicle you will be able to rock it sufficiently to change the static to the lower dynamic friction.

Baluncore said:
The torque will have to initially overcome the total static friction. That has not been specified.

Can you measure the starting force needed with a spring balance?

If you put a vibrator or an unbalanced smaller motor on the vehicle you will be able to rock it sufficiently to change the static to the lower dynamic friction.
I'm actually making a model of the proposed car to maximise fuel efficiency (km/kWh) so there's no way of doing any physical tension.
I was under the impression that the total static friction was the maximum torque that could be applied to the car without it the wheels slipping?

1. What is vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion?

Vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion refers to the amount of rotational force that is applied to the wheels of a vehicle when it is first starting to move. It is a measure of the engine's ability to accelerate the vehicle from a standstill.

2. How is vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion measured?

Vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion is typically measured using a dynamometer, which is a device that applies a load to the vehicle's wheels and measures the amount of torque required to overcome that load. This measurement is usually taken at the point of initial acceleration.

3. What factors affect vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion?

The amount of torque produced by a vehicle's engine at initial motion is affected by a number of factors, including the engine's size and power, the gearing of the transmission, the weight of the vehicle, and the level of traction between the wheels and the road surface.

4. Why is vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion important?

Vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion is an important measure of a vehicle's performance, as it directly impacts how quickly the vehicle can accelerate from a standstill. It can also affect the overall driving experience, as a higher torque output can result in a more powerful and responsive vehicle.

5. Can vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion be improved?

Yes, vehicle instantaneous torque in initial motion can be improved through various means, such as upgrading the engine for more power, using a more efficient transmission, reducing the weight of the vehicle, and improving traction through the use of better tires or traction control systems.