Which graduate field for fusion research?

In summary, fusion research and development requires a collaborative effort from various fields, including nuclear engineering, plasma physics, and other engineering disciplines. Specialized programs and institutes, such as Princeton's Plasma Physics Institute and UCSD's fusion energy programs, offer education and training in this field.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Which graduate field would be best if you want to help out in determining a way to harness fusion power at a net result and such? I was told plasma physics would be a good field if i want to go into that sort of research.

Physics news on Phys.org
The name of the field which studies applications of fusion is nuclear engineering.

It seems I chose the correct major, then. However, do not define a certain major as being associated with fusion research. Electrical and civil engineers as well as physicists are needed to contine to progress in this field, it is a group effort of many science and engineering fields.

I also will not limit myself, I plan to study a little about plasma physics even though my major at this college does not require it for a bachelor's degree in nuclear engineering. Does anyone have any advise as to where one can get a good education in fusion, I am willing to go abroad if that is what is required.

Princeton has a Plasma Physics Institute - http://www.pppl.gov/

UCSD also has a program and General Atomics is nearby - http://www-ferp.ucsd.edu/ , http://aries.ucsd.edu/FERP/

Fusion energy generation requires the combined effort of physics and engineers. In the engineering area, fusion is one aspect of nuclear engineering. However, fusion power plants, as any power plant, requires an interdisciplinary approach involving electrical engineers (power conversion and system control), mechanical engineering, and materials science and engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is fusion research?

Fusion research is a branch of science that studies the process of harnessing nuclear fusion reactions for energy production. It involves studying the behavior and properties of plasma, which is the fourth state of matter, at extremely high temperatures and densities.

2. What graduate fields are involved in fusion research?

There are several graduate fields that are involved in fusion research, including physics, engineering, materials science, and computer science. Each field offers a unique perspective and skill set that contribute to the advancement of fusion research.

3. What are the main challenges in fusion research?

The main challenges in fusion research include achieving and sustaining the necessary temperatures and densities for fusion reactions to occur, finding suitable materials for containing and controlling plasma, and developing efficient methods for extracting and utilizing fusion energy.

4. What are some current fusion research projects?

Some current fusion research projects include ITER (International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor), which aims to demonstrate the feasibility of fusion power, and the National Ignition Facility, which focuses on using lasers to induce fusion reactions. There are also many smaller research projects being conducted at various universities and national laboratories.

5. What career opportunities are available in fusion research?

Career opportunities in fusion research include positions in research and development, engineering, project management, and education. Graduates with a degree in fusion-related fields can also work in industries that utilize fusion technology, such as energy production and materials manufacturing.