Can a Running Tap Water Basin Be an Analogy for a Black Hole Event Horizon?

In summary, the conversation discussed various analogies for understanding the concept of an event horizon, such as the water flow in a basin and the creation of a spherical form. However, it was clarified that these analogies do not accurately represent the behavior of light and objects near a black hole's event horizon. The conversation also mentioned an alternative analogy, the acoustic black hole, which has been of scientific interest.
shounakbhatta
Hello,

I am trying to draw an analogy, which just came with a flash in my mind. Please clarify me, if it is wrong. Kindly note that it is an analogy only.

An event horizon -- Where the light emitting is not strong enough to go inside the black hole also it cannot go outside the zone and keeps on hovering around.

If I open a tap water and the water gushing down the basin creates a spherical form. The water neither can flow inside the basin, nor it can go outside.

Is it this which can be thought of a black hole event horizon?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
shounakbhatta said:
If I open a tap water and the water gushing down the basin creates a spherical form. The water neither can flow inside the basin, nor it can go outside.
I don't follow you there at all. Of course the water can flow down. Why would it not?

Also, it would not be a spherical form, it would be a circular form.
[/QUOTE]

Also, light readily enters a black hole. The only light that is trapped is light emitted at the horizon in the radial outgoing direction. All other light emitted at or in the horizon reaches the singularity (in the simplest BH). Further, all light heading toward the BH, crosses the horizon and reaches the singularity.

There is another analogy that has drawn significant scientific interest. It is called an acoustic black hole. IIRC one was created not long ago using an Bose-Einstein condensate.

My question was trying to understand how an event horizon looks like? My analogy of water flowing down is that the light which hovers around the 'event horizon' of a black hole, can that look like the water which forms a border on the basin?

The short answer is ... No.

1. What is an event horizon?

An event horizon is a theoretical boundary surrounding a black hole, beyond which no light or information can escape. It marks the point of no return for anything that enters the black hole.

2. How does the analogy of an event horizon apply to other situations?

The analogy of an event horizon can be used to explain various phenomena, such as the point of no return in a business decision, the boundary between two different cultures, or the limit of our understanding in certain scientific theories.

3. Can an event horizon be observed or measured?

No, an event horizon cannot be observed or measured directly because it is a theoretical concept. However, its effects on surrounding matter and light can be observed.

4. Is the event horizon a physical or mathematical construct?

The event horizon is a mathematical construct based on the theory of general relativity. However, it is used to describe a physical phenomenon that occurs in the universe.

5. Are there different types of event horizons?

Yes, there are different types of event horizons based on the size and properties of the black hole. These include the Schwarzschild radius, the Kerr radius, and the Reissner-Nordström radius.