Commutation of Vector-Potential and Field-Operator

• Thread starter Abigale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Commutation
In summary: If it is a photon, then it commutes with \vec A by the quantization rules. If it is a different type of particle, then it may not commute with \vec A. In summary, the field-operator \Psi and the vector-potential \vec{A(\vec{r})} commute because they are both quantized according to the same rules. If the particle created by \Psi^\dagger is a photon, then it commutes with \vec A. If it is a different type of particle, then it may not commute with \vec A.
Abigale
Hello,

I am thinking for some hours about the commutation of the field-Operator/(annihilation-Operator): [itex]\Psi[/itex] and the vector-potential: [itex]\vec{A(\vec{r})}[/itex].

I have noticed in my lecture notes that [itex]\vec{A(\vec{r})}\Psi = \Psi\vec{A(\vec{r})}[/itex].

But I don't understand why they commute?

Thank u!
Abby

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [itex]\Psi[/itex]? If it is a different field than [itex]\vec A[/itex] (such as a Dirac field or a scalar field), then it commutes with [itex]\vec A[/itex] by the usual quantization rules.

So this field-operator [itex]\Psi ^{\dagger}[/itex] creates a particle located at point [itex]\vec{x}[/itex]:

$$\Psi ^{\dagger} (\vec {x}) :=\sum_{\lambda} <\lambda|\vec{x}> a^{\dagger} _{\lambda}$$

And this Operator [itex]\vec{A(\vec{x})} [/itex] (Vector-Potential) creates a photon with momentum [itex] \hbar \vec K[/itex] an polarisation [itex]\hat{e_{\vec{K},\lambda}}[/itex]:

$$\vec{A(\vec{x})} :=\sqrt{\frac{2 \pi \hbar c^2}{r}}

\sum_{\vec{K},\lambda}

\frac{\hat{e_{\vec{K},\lambda}}}{\sqrt{c |k|} }
\cdot
\lbrace e^{i\vec{K} \vec{x}} a^{\dagger} _{\vec{K},\lambda}
+
e^{-i\vec{K} \vec{x}} a _{\vec{K},\lambda}
\rbrace
$$

So why can I say that both operators commute?

Thank u!

Is the particle created by [itex]\Psi^\dagger[/itex] a photon, or is it some other kind of particle?

1. What is the commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator?

The commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator is given by [A_i(x), E_j(y)] = iħδ_ijδ(x-y), where A_i(x) is the vector-potential operator, E_j(y) is the electric field operator, δ_ij is the Kronecker delta, and δ(x-y) is the delta function.

2. How does the commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator affect physical observables?

The commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator determines the uncertainty relationship between the electric field and its conjugate variable, the vector-potential. This affects the measurement of physical observables, as the uncertainty in one variable will limit the precision of the measurement of the other.

3. Can the commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator be generalized to other operators?

Yes, the commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator can be generalized to other operators in quantum mechanics. This is known as the canonical commutation relation and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

4. How does the commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator relate to the quantization of electromagnetic fields?

The commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator is essential in the quantization of electromagnetic fields. It allows us to treat the electric field and vector-potential as operators, which enables us to describe the electromagnetic field as a quantum system.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator?

Yes, understanding the commutation relation between vector-potential and field-operator is crucial in various fields such as quantum optics, quantum field theory, and condensed matter physics. It allows us to make precise predictions and calculations about the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter.