Radius of effect of atomic interactions

In summary: But it will be chaotic. For low energies, you get the hydrogen molecule, which can be solved with quantum mechanics. For higher energies (and higher charges), you will get all sorts of ionization processes, and for that you need quantum electrodynamics again. The actual equations are hard to write down, but there are computer programs to do that.
jshrager
Gold Member
Suppose that I have an atom in one corner of a room, and I fire a photon toward the opposite corner (and assume that it is absorbed there into the wall). There is essentially zero probability that that photon will interact with the atom (either be captured, or stimulate emission, or whatever). As the angle at which I fire the photon relative to the position of the atom becomes smaller, this probability increases until I'm aiming essentially at the nucleus of the atom, at which (I assume) the interaction probability will be largest. Several questions: 1. Am I framing this correctly? That is, it is a matter of interaction probabilities and the spatial relations determine these. 2. (Here's my real question) How does one frame this mathematically, esp. regarding the excitation state of the atom? 3. Suppose that instead of an atom and a photon I'm shooting another atom at the first one, say, I'm shooting one ground state H at another the same, v. H+ at H+, or an excited H at another? In these cases I'm hoping to find an equation that relates the excitation state of the atoms to the angles of interaction and the interaction probabilities.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The photon is not a classical point-like particle, but the basic idea is right - the interaction probability depends on the direction of your photon emission, aiming as precise as possible should give the largest interaction probability.
2. (Here's my real question) How does one frame this mathematically, esp. regarding the excitation state of the atom?
Depends on the theory you use to describe the interaction. For single photons, probably quantum electrodynamics, and then it gets complicated (you first need some superposition of planar waves to describe your localized particles, and then scattering amplitudes for all those planar waves, ...
Nonrelativistic quantum mechanics with continuous light is easier.
3. Suppose that instead of an atom and a photon I'm shooting another atom at the first one, say, I'm shooting one ground state H at another the same, v. H+ at H+, or an excited H at another? In these cases I'm hoping to find an equation that relates the excitation state of the atoms to the angles of interaction and the interaction probabilities.
I guess that's possible, but probably complicated. For two charged H+ (=just the nuclei): if the energy is not too high, you get the Coulomb repulsion only, and you can solve the system with classical mechanics.

1. What is the radius of effect of atomic interactions?

The radius of effect of atomic interactions is the distance at which the force between two atoms becomes negligible. This distance is typically on the order of a few angstroms (10^-10 meters) for van der Waals interactions and covalent bonds, and up to a few nanometers (10^-9 meters) for ionic bonds.

2. How does the radius of effect of atomic interactions vary between different types of bonds?

The radius of effect of atomic interactions varies depending on the strength of the bond between two atoms. For example, covalent bonds have a shorter radius of effect compared to ionic bonds because they are stronger and require the atoms to be closer together.

3. What factors can affect the radius of effect of atomic interactions?

The radius of effect of atomic interactions can be influenced by factors such as the type of atoms involved, their electronegativity, and the surrounding environment. For example, in a polar solvent, the radius of effect for ionic interactions may be larger due to the solvent molecules interacting with the ions.

4. How does the radius of effect of atomic interactions relate to the strength of a substance?

The radius of effect of atomic interactions plays a crucial role in determining the strength of a substance. The closer the atoms are to each other, the stronger the bond or interaction between them will be. Therefore, a shorter radius of effect indicates a stronger substance.

5. Can the radius of effect of atomic interactions be measured experimentally?

Yes, the radius of effect of atomic interactions can be measured using various experimental techniques such as X-ray crystallography, nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and electron microscopy. These methods allow scientists to study the spatial arrangement of atoms and their interactions at the atomic level.