How Do Different Orders of Taylor Expansion Affect Free-Fall Landing Times?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school student's plan to write an extended essay on physics, specifically analyzing free-fall landing times of objects from high altitudes in a classical Newtonian potential. The student plans to divide the paper into three parts, analyzing different aspects of the problem using power series expansions and Lagrangian mechanics. They also plan to compare their results with "exact" results from Mathematica and add a physically meaningful expansion parameter in their calculations.
HomogenousCow
Hello fellow PF-goers
As part of my high school curriculum I am required to write an extended essay on an academic field of my choice.
I plan on doing a physics paper about the free-fall landing times of objects from high altitudes in a classical Newtonian potential.
My plan is to separate my paper into these parts

1.Analyse free-fall landing times of initially stationary objects, expand the Newtonian force in a power series and analyse the issue in zeroth, first, second and third order. (F=-g+ar+br^2+cr^3+..). I will be using mathematica to solve for the second and third order results.

2.Analyse free-fall landing times for objects with a non-zero initial angular velocity. I will switch to the lagrangian formulation for this and repeat the same power expansion method as before.

3.Tally the data, and compare to "exact" results given by mathematica. Compare the inaccuracies as a I increase the order of the taylor expansion.

Advice?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are learning Lagrangian mechanics and power series expansions in high school? Geez, I feel like a failure.

Your paper sounds excellent.

The only thing I would make sure to add is a physically meaningful expansion parameter in your perturbation theory calculation of the 2nd and 3rd order expressions for the force.

Regardless, your paper idea is very nice so have fun! :)

WannabeNewton said:
The only thing I would make sure to add is a physically meaningful expansion parameter in your perturbation theory calculation of the 2nd and 3rd order expressions for the force.

Regardless, your paper idea is very nice so have fun! :)

I'm thinking about expanding around G and working to third order.
I can expand around any parameter I want right? As long as I plug it back in at the end.

Last edited:

Hello! It sounds like you have a solid plan for your extended essay on free-fall landing times. I would recommend also considering any potential sources of error in your experiments and analysis, and discussing how these could impact your results. Additionally, it may be helpful to review any previous studies or research on this topic and discuss how your approach and findings differ or add to the existing knowledge. Good luck with your paper!

1. What is free-fall paper?

Free-fall paper is a type of paper that is specifically designed to be used in experiments that involve dropping objects from a height. It is made from a lightweight material and has a smooth surface, which allows for accurate measurements of distance and time during the experiment.

2. How is free-fall paper different from regular paper?

Free-fall paper is different from regular paper in that it is much lighter and thinner. This allows it to fall more quickly and create less resistance in the air, making it ideal for use in experiments involving gravity and acceleration.

3. What are the benefits of using free-fall paper in experiments?

Using free-fall paper in experiments allows for more precise measurements and calculations, as it reduces the effects of air resistance on falling objects. It also provides a consistent surface for objects to fall onto, which can help reduce any variations in data.

4. Can free-fall paper be used for other types of experiments?

While free-fall paper is primarily used in experiments involving gravity and acceleration, it can also be used for other types of experiments that require precise measurements and a smooth surface. Some examples include testing the impact of different forces on objects and measuring the speed of projectiles.

5. Is free-fall paper safe to use?

Yes, free-fall paper is safe to use as long as it is used correctly and with proper supervision. It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when conducting experiments that involve dropping objects from a height. Additionally, free-fall paper is designed to be lightweight and will not cause harm if it lands on someone.