Where Does Heat Come From When Momentum is Conserved?

• Thread starter HiPPiE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conservation of momentum often results in a loss of kinetic energy, such as when a person catches a thrown object. This loss of energy is converted into heat, which is generated through vibrations in the molecules of the glove. This heat is then transferred to the catcher's hand, giving them a warm feeling. Additionally, some of the muscular effort used to catch the object can also contribute to the production of heat.
HiPPiE
I suppose this sounds a little silly, but:

Momentum has to be conserved, but often at the cost of some kinetic energy. For example, if someone throws a 1kg mass at 50kg person at 10 m/s, he catches it:
mv=mv
(1)10=v(51)
v=10/51
KE1=.5(1)(10)^2=50j
KE2=.5(51)(10/51)^2=.98j

Heat is thus created, but my question is: where? I suppose in this situation it would be in the glove... but how exactly does that heat come about? Heat is, I guess, kinetic energy on a smaller scale (moving particles). How do these particles begin to move?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about friction, sound all other waves that have some energy

HiPPiE said:
Momentum has to be conserved, but often at the cost of some kinetic energy. For example, if someone throws a 1kg mass at 50kg person at 10 m/s, he catches it:
mv=mv
(1)10=v(51)
v=10/51
KE1=.5(1)(10)^2=50j
KE2=.5(51)(10/51)^2=.98j

Heat is thus created, but my question is: where? I suppose in this situation it would be in the glove... but how exactly does that heat come about? Heat is, I guess, kinetic energy on a smaller scale (moving particles). How do these particles begin to move?
There is not much friction here. The ball striking the glove causes it to vibrate. This vibration quickly degrades into a random vibration of the molecules in the glove, which raises their internal energy
(U in thermodynamics). This increase in U raises the temperature of the glove. Heat is the transfer of this internal energy from the glove to your hand, which gives you a warm feeling because the batter is out.

Meir Achuz said:
which gives you a warm feeling because the batter is out.
:rofl:
I would propose further that some of the muscular effort used to maintain the glove in position when the ball hits it produces heat in the catcher and could be considered part of the system.

Friction - i meant air resistance, no distances were given

Ok, I see. Makes sense...

Oh and thanks :)

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, meaning that the momentum before an event must equal the momentum after the event.

2. Why does momentum have to be conserved?

Momentum has to be conserved because of the fundamental principle of Newton's Third Law, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that any force exerted in one direction must be counteracted by an equal force in the opposite direction, resulting in no change in the overall momentum of the system.

3. Are there any exceptions to the law of conservation of momentum?

There are no known exceptions to the law of conservation of momentum. However, in certain situations such as elastic collisions or interactions at the subatomic level, there may appear to be a violation of momentum conservation due to the transfer of energy.

4. How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, momentum is conserved because there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that any change in momentum within the system must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in momentum elsewhere in the system.

5. How is the conservation of momentum used in real-world applications?

The law of conservation of momentum is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of rockets and spacecraft, understanding collisions in sports and car accidents, and in the study of particle interactions in physics.