Theory of special relativity -clocks and objects

In summary, the question is asking about the effects of time dilation and Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction on a moving clock and a moving object, respectively, when observed by a stationary observer. It is assumed that the non-stationary person and the object are moving at a high speed, possibly the speed of light. These effects result in changes in the perceived time and size of the moving objects.
ally1h

Homework Statement

relative to a stationary observer, how does a moving clock run by comparison? similarly, relative to a stationary observer, how does the size of a moving object compare?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not wholly certain my answers are correct and would love if someone would let me know if they are or are not.

For both parts I'm assuming the non-stationary person and the object are moving at the speed of light. Just because there is no other information given. For the first part of the question I'm guessing that the stationary observer is looking at the clock belonging to the person moving at the speed of light (not that that's possible...) and that time speeds up so that time passes by visibly?

For the second part of the question I would think that if the object is moving at the speed of light, an observer would see it at the same height but the depth of the object would be very small in comparison. Correct?

I don't know... this question is poorly worded considering it lacks certain information so I am unsure if I am interpreting this question correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ally1h! :smile:
ally1h said:
relative to a stationary observer, how does a moving clock run by comparison? similarly, relative to a stationary observer, how does the size of a moving object compare?

For both parts I'm assuming the non-stationary person and the object are moving at the speed of light.

For the second part of the question I would think that if the object is moving at the speed of light …

I don't know... this question is poorly worded considering it lacks certain information so I am unsure if I am interpreting this question correctly.

Whoa!

Nothing goes at the speed of light (well, ok … except light :biggrin:).

Nul points!

Stop complaining about the question … there's nothing wrong with it … it's just asking about time dilation and Lorentz-Fitzgerald contraction.

(and if a question doesn't give the speed, then call it v :smile:)

But here is my attempt at a response:

According to the theory of special relativity, the observed rate at which a clock runs is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that a clock moving at the speed of light, as observed by a stationary observer, would appear to run slower than a stationary clock. This phenomenon is known as time dilation. Similarly, the size of a moving object, as observed by a stationary observer, would appear to be smaller in comparison. This is due to the length contraction effect, which states that objects in motion appear shorter in the direction of motion when observed from a stationary frame of reference. Therefore, a stationary observer would perceive a moving clock to run slower and a moving object to be smaller in size. However, it is important to note that these effects are only noticeable at speeds approaching the speed of light and are not applicable to everyday objects in our daily lives.

1. What is the theory of special relativity?

The theory of special relativity is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

2. How does the theory of special relativity affect clocks and objects?

The theory of special relativity affects clocks and objects by predicting that the passage of time is relative and can be affected by factors such as velocity and gravity. It also predicts that objects moving at high speeds will experience time dilation, meaning time will pass more slowly for them compared to stationary objects.

3. Is the theory of special relativity proven?

The theory of special relativity has been extensively tested and confirmed by numerous experiments and observations. It is considered one of the most well-established and successful theories in modern physics.

4. How does the theory of special relativity relate to the theory of general relativity?

The theory of special relativity is a special case of the more comprehensive theory of general relativity, which incorporates gravity and explains the curvature of space-time. The theory of general relativity builds upon and extends the concepts of the theory of special relativity.

5. Can the theory of special relativity be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, the theory of special relativity has many practical applications, such as in the design of GPS systems, where the effects of time dilation must be taken into account. It also helps explain phenomena like the twin paradox and the observed bending of light around massive objects.