Subspace test involving linear transformations

In summary, the subset W of the vector space V, consisting of linear transformations from Q^4 to Q^4, is a subspace of V. This is determined by checking if the zero vector is in W, if W is closed under addition, and if W is closed under scalar multiplication. It is shown that the zero vector is in W, and that W is closed under both addition and scalar multiplication. Therefore, W is a subspace of V.
p3forlife

Homework Statement

Determine whether the subset W of the vector space V is a subspace of V.
Let V = L(Q4) (the set of linear transformations from rational numbers with 4 coordinates to rational numbers with 4 coordinates).
Let W = { T in V = L(Q4) | { (1,0,1,0) , (0,1,0,-1) } is contained in N(T) }
where N(T) is the nullspace of T

Homework Equations

Subspace test involves checking if the zero vector is in W, whether W is closed under addition, and whether W is closed under scalar multiplication.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Check if zero vector is in W
From definition, N(T): {x in V | T(1,0,1,0) = 0 , T(0,1,0,-1) = 0 }
So the zero vector is in W

2. Check if closed under addition
From linearity of T, T(x+y) = T(x) + T(y)
where x = (a, b, c, d) in W
y = (p, q, r, s) in W

3. Check if closed under scalar multiplication
From linearity of T, T(cx) = cT(x)

So W is a subspace of V.

Is it enough to use the linearity of T to check for closure under addition and multiplication? Is there something else I should include in my solution? I'm unsure if I'm supposed to do the subspace test on the actual vectors x, y, etc. or if I'm supposed to test the transformations, T(x), T(y), etc. For example, should closure under addition be asking whether x + y is in W or if T(x) + T(y) is in W?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your set W consists of all the transformations from Q^4 to Q^4 that send (1,0,1,0) and (0,1,0,-1) to (0, 0, 0, 0). This fact has ramifications on what the matrices for this set of transformations looks like.

I don't see that your work uses the two given vectors.
For the first part, you need to show that T(0, 0, 0, 0) = (0, 0, 0, 0)

Okay, so checking if T(0,0,0,0) = 0 is asking if (0,0,0,0) is in N(T). Since (0,0,0,0) is not in N(T), then the zero vector is not in W. Is this right?

p3forlife said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the subset W of the vector space V is a subspace of V.
Let V = L(Q4) (the set of linear transformations from rational numbers with 4 coordinates to rational numbers with 4 coordinates).
Let W = { T in V = L(Q4) | { (1,0,1,0) , (0,1,0,-1) } is contained in N(T) }
where N(T) is the nullspace of T

Homework Equations

Subspace test involves checking if the zero vector is in W, whether W is closed under addition, and whether W is closed under scalar multiplication.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Check if zero vector is in W
From definition, N(T): {x in V | T(1,0,1,0) = 0 , T(0,1,0,-1) = 0 }
So the zero vector is in W

2. Check if closed under addition
From linearity of T, T(x+y) = T(x) + T(y)
y = (p, q, r, s) in W
W is a space of linear transformations. "Closed under addition" is not a question of 'x+ y' but of T+ S where T and S are in W. If T and S are in W is T+S in W?

3. Check if closed under scalar multiplication
From linearity of T, T(cx) = cT(x)
Again, the question is not about cx but about cT. If T is in W is cT in W?

So W is a subspace of V.

Is it enough to use the linearity of T to check for closure under addition and multiplication? Is there something else I should include in my solution? I'm unsure if I'm supposed to do the subspace test on the actual vectors x, y, etc. or if I'm supposed to test the transformations, T(x), T(y), etc. For example, should closure under addition be asking whether x + y is in W or if T(x) + T(y) is in W?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
p3forlife said:
Okay, so checking if T(0,0,0,0) = 0 is asking if (0,0,0,0) is in N(T). Since (0,0,0,0) is not in N(T), then the zero vector is not in W. Is this right?
Once again, the question is not about T(0,0,0,0)= 0. It is about the 0 transformation: T(x,y,z,w)= (0,0,0,0) for all x,y,z,w. If T= 0, the linear transformation that maps every (x,y,z,w) to (0,0,0,0), is it in W? That specifically, is asking whether T(1, 0, 1, 0)= (0,0,0,0) and whether T(0,1,0,-1)= (0,0,0,0) and the answer to that is trivial.

HallsofIvy said:
Once again, the question is not about T(0,0,0,0)= 0. It is about the 0 transformation: T(x,y,z,w)= (0,0,0,0) for all x,y,z,w. If T= 0, the linear transformation that maps every (x,y,z,w) to (0,0,0,0), is it in W? That specifically, is asking whether T(1, 0, 1, 0)= (0,0,0,0) and whether T(0,1,0,-1)= (0,0,0,0) and the answer to that is trivial.

Thanks for your reply.
So it's obvious that the zero vector is in W.

Check if T + S is in W (closure under addition):
T(1,0,1,0) + S(0,1,0,-1) = 0 + 0 = 0
Since T + S is in N(T), W is closed under addition.

Check if cT is in W (closure under scalar multiplication):
cT(1,0,1,0) = c * 0 = 0
cT(0,1,0,-1) = c * 0 = 0
Sin cT is in N(T), W is closed under scalar multiplication.

Is this right or am I missing something?

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the three basic properties of a vector space: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How is a subspace test involving linear transformations performed?

The subspace test involves checking if the output of a linear transformation performed on any two vectors in the subspace is also in the subspace. If all combinations of vectors in the subspace result in a vector that is also in the subspace, then the subspace test is passed.

3. Why is the subspace test important in linear algebra?

The subspace test is important because it allows us to determine if a set of vectors form a subspace or not. This is crucial in many applications of linear algebra, such as finding bases and solving systems of linear equations.

4. Can a subspace test be performed on any set of vectors?

No, a subspace test can only be performed on a set of vectors if they are in the same vector space. If the vectors are not in the same vector space, the subspace test is not applicable.

5. Is the subspace test the only way to determine if a set of vectors form a subspace?

No, there are other methods of determining if a set of vectors form a subspace, such as checking if the set is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, or if the set contains the zero vector. However, the subspace test is a commonly used and reliable method.