What is the intergral of (1/u)(1/(1+u))

• Thread starter camboguy
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of a complicated expression involving square roots. The solution involves using u substitution and partial fraction decomposition.
camboguy

Homework Statement

what is the intergral of (1/u)(1/(1+u))

its more complicated but i did u du sub to make it more viewable.

The Attempt at a Solution

kinda stuck but i think i get the idea.
i have to take the anti derivative of (1/u) then the anti derivative of (1/(1+u)) and then multiply them.. i think.. i know the anti derivative of (1/u) but what is the anti derivative of (1/(1+u)) iv been looking every where my book, online, nothing except something about partial diffraction. final tomorrow.. and I am kinda stuck on this part.

the full problem is find the intergral of dx/ [([squroot(1+squrootX)] * [squroot(1+squroot(1+squrootX))]]
i did u du for (1+squrootX)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]
\frac{1}{u(1+u)}=\frac{1}{u}-\frac{1}{1+u}
[/tex]
then do the integral term by term. yes, this is called partial fraction decomposition. And be aware, the anti-derivative of a product is NOT the product of the anti-derivatives of each factor!

(1/u)(1/(1+u))=1/[u(1+u)]=[(1+u)-u]/[u(1+u)]=1/u-1/(1+u)

1. What is the meaning of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a specific interval.

2. How do you solve the integral of (1/u)(1/(1+u))?

To solve this integral, we use the substitution method. Let u = 1+u, du = 1 du, and rewrite the integral as ∫(1/u)(1/u) du. This integral can be solved using the power rule, giving us the final answer of ln|u| + C.

3. What is the domain of the integral (1/u)(1/(1+u))?

The domain of this integral is all real numbers except for u = 0 and u = -1. This is because the integral is undefined at these values, as it would result in division by zero.

4. Can the integral (1/u)(1/(1+u)) be simplified?

Yes, the integral can be simplified by using the power rule and substituting the value of u back in. This would give us the final answer of ln|u| + C.

5. Why is the integral (1/u)(1/(1+u)) important in mathematics?

This integral is important in mathematics because it is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the total value of a function over a specific interval. It also has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.