Getting Extinction cross section from Radar cross section using HFSS

In summary, the conversation is about using the HFSS software to calculate the extinction cross section of a particle. The speaker has followed the tutorial but is getting unexpected results and is questioning whether they are using the correct method. They also provide links to answers from other sites for reference.
El Flea
Hi, Has anyone tried using the HFSS software to get the extinction cross section of a particle?

I've been told that the extinction cross section of a particle is the imaginary part of the radar cross section in forward direction, so I did exactly what the RCS tutorial from HFSS did, except using my own model and frequencies, and getting just the 0deg im(ComplexRCS).
Where, I'm supposed to get results around 1 point something, I got results around 1e-13 and some negative numbers. And it gets even smaller if I divide it by the wavenumber. Was I wrong to just take the imaginary part of the radar cross section in 0deg as the extinction cross section?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check this answer from another site: https://www.researchgate.net/post/Extinction_cross-section_for_Nano-particle_on_a_film-Lumerical_COMSOL

Check this answer from another site: https://www.researchgate.net/post/Extinction_cross-section_for_Nano-particle_on_a_film-Lumerical_COMSOL

1. How is extinction cross section related to radar cross section?

The extinction cross section is a measure of the total scattering and absorption of electromagnetic energy by a target. It includes both the radar cross section, which is the measure of the target's ability to reflect radar signals, and the absorption cross section, which is the measure of the target's ability to absorb radar energy.

2. What is HFSS and how is it used to calculate extinction cross section?

HFSS (High Frequency Structure Simulator) is a finite element method software used for electromagnetic simulations. It can be used to calculate the radar cross section of a target by analyzing its geometry, material properties, and incident electromagnetic field. By using the HFSS simulation results, the extinction cross section can be calculated by combining the radar cross section and absorption cross section.

3. Can HFSS be used to calculate extinction cross section for all types of targets?

Yes, HFSS can be used to calculate the extinction cross section for a wide range of targets, including simple geometric shapes, complex structures, and even biological objects. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the complexity of the target and the accuracy of the material properties used in the simulation.

4. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of the extinction cross section calculated using HFSS?

The accuracy of the extinction cross section calculated using HFSS can be affected by factors such as the complexity of the target's geometry, the material properties used in the simulation, the frequency and polarization of the incident electromagnetic field, and the simulation settings and parameters selected. It is important to carefully consider and validate these factors to ensure accurate results.

5. How can the calculated extinction cross section be used in practical applications?

The extinction cross section calculated using HFSS can be used to analyze and optimize the radar performance of a target, such as reducing its detectability or improving its stealth capabilities. It can also be used to design and improve the performance of radar systems, such as by selecting the optimal radar frequency or polarization for a given target. Additionally, the extinction cross section can be used to characterize and classify targets, which can be useful in military, aerospace, and other industries.