Reduction in resonance magnitude for a motor/drive-axle model

In summary, resonance magnitude reduction refers to decreasing the amplitude of vibration at a specific frequency in a motor/drive-axle model. It is important to reduce resonance in order to improve the performance and reliability of the system. This can be achieved through methods such as adjusting stiffness and damping, changing natural frequency, or adding vibration isolation components. The consequences of not reducing resonance magnitude include increased wear and tear, decreased performance and efficiency, and potential system failure. However, resonance magnitude reduction can be achieved without significantly affecting the performance of the system through careful adjustment and optimization of parameters.
siddy88
Hi all,

I am conducting some tests on a simulated physical model of a motor/drive axle system. The goal of the experimentation is to come up with some suggestions to reduce the peak magnitude at the resonant frequency by 30%.

Based on the analysis done, a few proposed changes are 1) increasing the motor resistance, 2) increasing the motor constant and 3) modifying the inertia of the flywheels that the axle is attached to.

I am having some difficulty in figuring out why these would lead to a reducing peak magnitude at the resonant frequency and I was wondering if anyone could help out.

For example, my understanding is that motor resistance has a direct correlation to motor efficiency- ie if I have a motor with a lower motor resistance my motor will be more efficient and thereby be able to supply more power. However what does this really have to do with the resonant frequency.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could give me some tips on how those above listed factors are related to resonance/ resonant frequency.

Thanks for your time and I hope i have explained myself clearly enough.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I am a scientist with expertise in mechanical engineering and vibrations. From my understanding, the proposed changes that you have mentioned can indeed help in reducing the peak magnitude at the resonant frequency. Let me explain how each of these changes can affect the resonant frequency.

1) Increasing the motor resistance: As you correctly mentioned, a lower motor resistance can result in a more efficient motor. In the context of your experiment, this means that the motor will be able to supply more power to the system without drawing excessive current. This can help in reducing the peak magnitude at the resonant frequency because the motor will be able to counteract the vibrations caused by the system more effectively.

2) Increasing the motor constant: The motor constant is a measure of the motor's ability to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. By increasing the motor constant, the motor will be able to supply more torque to the system, which can help in reducing the vibrations at the resonant frequency. This is because a higher torque can counteract the forces causing the vibrations more effectively.

3) Modifying the inertia of the flywheels: The inertia of the flywheels is directly related to the system's natural frequency, which is the frequency at which the system will vibrate the most. By modifying the inertia of the flywheels, you can change the natural frequency of the system and potentially shift it away from the resonant frequency. This can result in a reduction of the peak magnitude at the resonant frequency.

In summary, all of the proposed changes can have a direct or indirect effect on the resonant frequency of the system. By optimizing these factors, you can reduce the peak magnitude at the resonant frequency and improve the overall performance of the system. I hope this helps in your experimentation and feel free to reach out if you have any further questions. Good luck with your research!

1. What is resonance magnitude reduction?

Resonance magnitude reduction refers to the decrease in the amplitude of vibration at a specific frequency in a motor/drive-axle model. This reduction is achieved by adjusting the parameters of the model to avoid or minimize resonance, which can cause excessive vibrations and potential damage to the system.

2. Why is it important to reduce resonance magnitude in a motor/drive-axle model?

Reducing resonance magnitude is important because it helps to improve the performance and reliability of the motor/drive-axle system. Resonance can cause unwanted vibrations, noise, and even damage to the system, which can lead to downtime and costly repairs. By reducing resonance, the system can operate more smoothly and efficiently.

3. How is resonance magnitude reduction achieved in a motor/drive-axle model?

Resonance magnitude reduction can be achieved through various methods such as adjusting the stiffness and damping of the system, changing the natural frequency, or adding vibration isolation components. The specific method used will depend on the characteristics of the system and the frequency at which resonance occurs.

4. What are the consequences of not reducing resonance magnitude in a motor/drive-axle model?

If resonance magnitude is not reduced in a motor/drive-axle model, it can lead to several consequences. These include increased wear and tear on the system, decreased performance and efficiency, and potential damage to components. In extreme cases, resonance can cause the system to fail, resulting in downtime and costly repairs.

5. Can resonance magnitude reduction be achieved without affecting the performance of the system?

Yes, resonance magnitude reduction can be achieved without significantly affecting the performance of the system. By carefully adjusting the parameters of the model, resonance can be minimized without compromising the overall performance of the system. This requires a thorough understanding of the system and its characteristics, as well as careful testing and optimization to achieve the desired results.