No latex in private messages or when composing(?)

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter strangerep
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, some users have been experiencing issues with the LATEX function on Physics Forums. It does not work when composing a post or viewing a private message, but it does work when viewing existing posts. Additionally, the single post view lacks a navigation feature to return to the thread. However, this issue has since been resolved and the use of single show posts is discouraged due to potential future compatibility issues.
strangerep
Science Advisor
Right now, i.e., Sun Mar 23 01:30:21 GMT 2014, latex doesn't work for me anymore when viewing a private message, nor when composing a post.

However, it does work in display of existing posts.

E.g., the following displays as properly formatted latex after my message was posted, but while composing (or if I try to edit it), the latex function doesn't work.

$$\int x^2 \, dx$$

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same problem. It started at least 6 hours ago.

I can fix that shortly. Thanks for the notice.

DrGreg said:
In a similar vein, LATEX doesn't seem to work when viewing a single post e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1849982&postcount=9 (but does work when viewing the same post within its thread e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1849982#post1849982 )

Also the single post view seems to lack any way of navigating back to its thread (which I'm sure we used to able to do in the past).

Works now, but try to move away from linking to single show posts. It is something that will break when we upgrade our software. The feature has been completely deprecated without any conversion.

What is latex?

Latex is a type-setting language used for formatting mathematical equations, scientific papers, and other technical documents.

Why is it important to not use latex in private messages?

Using latex in private messages can make the message difficult to read and understand, especially if the recipient is not familiar with the language. It is also not necessary for most casual conversations.

Can I still use latex in public messages or forums?

Yes, you can use latex in public messages or forums as long as it is relevant and appropriate to the conversation or topic being discussed.

Are there alternatives to latex for formatting equations?

Yes, there are other options such as MathML, HTML, and Markdown that can be used for formatting equations in various contexts.

Is there a specific reason for not using latex when composing messages?

The main reason for not using latex when composing messages is to ensure that the message can be easily understood and accessible to all recipients, regardless of their technical background or familiarity with the language.