Beta-decay energy

by RESolo
Tags: betadecay, energy
RESolo
Oct4-13, 09:45 AM
P: 7
I have to work out which if these two beta-decay processes are energetically possible, given that the beta-decay energy of Li-11 is Q = 20 MeV. The two processes are:

(1)
〖Li〗_11→〖Be〗_9+2n
(2)
〖Li〗_11→〖He〗_3+〖He〗_8

I am supposed to use the energy conditions for beta-decay equations, i.e.:

Q={M(Z,A)-M(Z+1,A)-m_e } c^2
Q={M(Z,A)-M(Z-1,A)-m_e } c^2

But I donít know which one; in the first process the numbers of neutrons and protons both decrease by one Ė how is this possible? (In the second process, the number of neutrons decreases by one and the number of protons increases by one, so I guess that is beta-minus).

Basically, I donít understand how the decay process works, and from then how to calculate Q when there are two daughter nuclei. So an explanation would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
mfb
Oct4-13, 10:07 AM
Mentor
P: 10,840
But I don’t know which one; in the first process the numbers of neutrons and protons both decrease by one – how is this possible?
11=9+2, the total number of nucleons stays the same. As you get one new proton, the number of neutrons decreases by one.

Basically, I don’t understand how the decay process works, and from then how to calculate Q when there are two daughter nuclei.
Just add both nuclei.

This is energy conservation - the total available energy is given by the mass of ##{}^11Li##, and you have to check if that is sufficient to produce all daughter particles.

Register to reply