1999 war games predicted problems with invasion of Iraq

• News
  • Thread starter edward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Games
In summary, the Bush administration chose to ignore information that predicted an invasion of Iraq would be problematic. The games conducted in 1999 predicted that an invasion would require 400,000 troops and even then, chaos might ensue. In 2004, the number of troops in Iraq was supposed to have dropped to 115,000, but Rumsfeld said that Gen. John Abizaid, the overall commander of the Iraq war, wants to keep the force level at about 135,000 troops.
edward
We had the correct information long before the war. The Bush administration choose to ignore it.

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. government was tipped off years ago that invading Iraq would likely be problematic.

A series of secret war games in 1999 predicted that an invasion of Iraq would require 400,000 troops, and even then chaos might ensue.

In its "Desert Crossing" games, 70 military, diplomatic and intelligence officials assumed the high troop levels would be needed to keep order, seal borders and take care of other security needs. The game also predicted that "a change in regimes does not guarantee stability."
http://www.nbc6.net/news/10243429/detail.html#

Physics news on Phys.org
I finde the article somewhat confusing: it talks about the invasion requiring 400,000 troops, then says:
There are currently about 144,000 U.S. troops in Iraq, down from a peak of about 160,000 in January.
160,000 is most certainly not more than we had for the invasion, though I'm having trouble finding that number. (edit: near as I can tell, we had about 250,000, but I'm looking more reliable sources)

Regardless, they are mixing unrelated facts to support their conclusion. I'd like to read the actual report...

Last edited:
Perhaps 160,000 was the post-invasion peak level? Here's Rummy's words:

http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/Archive/2005/Dec/23-44645.html

Visiting with U.S. troops in Iraq December 23, Rumsfeld announced adjustments in troop deployments that "reduce forces in Iraq by the spring of 2006 below the current high of 160,000 during the [Iraqi] election period to below the 138,000 baseline that had existed before the most recent elections."

Hard to say what exactly he is referring to (and I suspect this is the source of this oft repeated number)...but I too recall a number like 250,000 troops for the invasion.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll have to be careful to distinguish the number of troops in Iraq, as apposed to the number of troops in theater, e.g. those in Kuwait and off-shore.

I've seen troop deployment numbers somewhere. There is usually a Defense Department summary montly or quarterly.

Here's something from 2004 - http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/troops_04-15-04.html
About 137,000 U.S. troops are in Iraq now, and that number was supposed to have dropped to 115,000 by May. But Rumsfeld said Gen. John Abizaid, the overall commander of the Iraq war, wants to keep the force level at about 135,000 troops.

Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
I finde the article somewhat confusing: it talks about the invasion requiring 400,000 troops, then says: 160,000 is most certainly not more than we had for the invasion, though I'm having trouble finding that number. (edit: near as I can tell, we had about 250,000, but I'm looking more reliable sources)

Regardless, they are mixing unrelated facts to support their conclusion. I'd like to read the actual report...

Apparently whatever number we had in the initial inasion was sufficient to topple the govenment of Iraq, but not enough to control the country.

WASHINGTON | The U.S. government conducted a series of secret war games in 1999 that anticipated that an invasion of Iraq would require 400,000 troops, and even then, chaos might ensue.

In its Desert Crossing games, 70 military, diplomatic and intelligence officials assumed that the high troop levels would be needed to keep order, seal borders and take care of other security needs.

The documents came to light Saturday through a Freedom of Information Act request by George Washington University’s National Security Archive.

“The conventional wisdom is the U.S. mistake in Iraq was not enough troops,” said Thomas Blanton, the archive’s director. “But the Desert Crossing war game in 1999 suggests we would have ended up with a failed state even with 400,000 troops on the ground.”

GWU now has the documents. I doubt that they will be available on the net for a while.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/

or I could be wrong about that.
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB207/index.htm

Last edited:

What were the 1999 war games that predicted problems with the invasion of Iraq?

The 1999 war games were a series of military exercises called the "Desert Crossing" held by the United States Central Command to simulate a hypothetical invasion of Iraq.

What were the main findings of the 1999 war games?

The war games revealed that an invasion of Iraq would likely face significant challenges, including prolonged urban warfare, a lack of international support, and potential use of chemical weapons by the Iraqi government.

Were the findings of the 1999 war games accurate?

Many of the findings from the war games proved to be accurate, including the challenges faced during urban warfare and the lack of international support. However, the use of chemical weapons by Iraq did not occur during the invasion.

Did the 1999 war games influence the decision to invade Iraq in 2003?

It is unclear if the war games directly influenced the decision to invade Iraq in 2003. However, some officials have stated that the results of the war games were considered during the planning of the invasion.

What can we learn from the 1999 war games in relation to the invasion of Iraq?

The 1999 war games serve as a reminder of the importance of thorough planning and consideration of potential challenges before engaging in military action. They also highlight the potential consequences of disregarding or downplaying the findings of such exercises.