Which universities accept the IB diploma for engineering and space programs?

In summary, I am currently over half way through my IB diploma course at school with a predicted grade of 39-43 out of 45. This translates to a UAI (university admission index) (its a New South Wales thing in Australia - ask me if you need help here) of 99.45. I would really like to study engineering in Aeronautics or structural, or even get into space programs like NASA. Does anyone have any advice for me like what Universities around the world are best for those courses and which ones accept the IB diploma?
Wellsi
Im currently just over half way through my IB diploma course at school with a predicted grade of 39-43 out of 45. This translates to a UAI (university admission index) (its a New South Wales thing in Australia - ask me if you need help here) of 99.45. I would really like to study engineering in Aeronautics or structural, or even get into space programs like NASA
does anyone have any advice for me like what Universities around the world are best for those courses and which ones accept the IB diploma?
My subjects are: English SL, Maths SL (finished 1 year of HL then dropped back), Physics HL, Chemistry HL, Ab Initio French, Theory of Knowledge, Economics HL and my Extended Essay is in Economics...

Physics news on Phys.org
Most US schools accept it. I personally got about 50 credit-hours of coursework for mine. Sure, a good portion of those hours were in subjects that didn't directly benefit my engineering degree, but the hours kept me from ever having to park my car in the freshman lot. :biggrin:

- Warren

what about in Europe? how would someone go in finding a uni over there with an IB diploma?

Call the school and ask them, of course.

- Warren

i went to community college and my IB credits weren't accepted there :( what a waste

Theory of Knowledge... what a waste of time.

yes TOK is crap... but what can u do its compulsary

The biggest challenge is the CAS, however.

Theory of Knowledge is not crap. You perhaps don't yet have the sophistication to realize how important it is, but you will one day.

- Warren

yes well our classes are crap lol, all we do is listen to the teacher talk pretty much, you can see that a few of our class have resorted to these forums for help on the topics... what did you do you TOK Oral Presentation on?

Wellsi said:
what did you do you TOK Oral Presentation on?

I'd have to give that one some thought... it was eleven years ago for me. I'll let you know if I remember it.

- Warren

ok great, we did our first attempt on the theories of the beginning of the universe and the science v religion debate. It scored 17/20 so we were really happy with that, but the presentation went for half an hour

Wellsi said:
yes well our classes are crap lol, all we do is listen to the teacher talk pretty much, you can see that a few of our class have resorted to these forums for help on the topics... what did you do you TOK Oral Presentation on?

For me it was quite a genric subject, "Can Science Explain Everything". Didn't do too well on that one, I got a 15/20.

it is good that you can pick whatever you want an anaylse it yes... and the different ways of thinking may be helpful later on

I'm pretty sure I ended up using a science fair project that had won a 2nd Grand Award at the International Science and Engineering Fair. I remember feeling rather proud of myself for having not only won the fair, but also for having using essentially the same research for both my TOK extended essay and my high school's exit exam. Three birds with one stone.

- Warren

we spent over a month on logic and fallacious arguments in my TOK class.. then watched Invasion of the Body Snatchers :[

body snatchers? fun i guess... we get to play chinese whispers and do charades to demonstrate how much we need language, and watch what the bleep do we know to try and understand "the new physics"

chroot said:
but the hours kept me from ever having to park my car in the freshman lot. :biggrin:

- Warren

I was stupid enough that I did not fully utilise my AP-credits when I was first year student... So I had to part 10 miles away from school. But the next year, I am parking the senior parking log. lol

1. What is an IB Diploma?

An IB Diploma is an internationally recognized qualification that is earned by completing a rigorous two-year program of study. It is offered by the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) and is designed to provide students with a well-rounded education that emphasizes critical thinking, global awareness, and personal development.

2. How is an IB Diploma different from other high school diplomas?

An IB Diploma is different from other high school diplomas in several ways. Firstly, it is recognized and accepted by universities and employers around the world. Additionally, the IB Diploma program is more academically challenging, with a greater emphasis on critical thinking, research skills, and community service. It also requires students to study a wide variety of subjects, including a second language.

3. What are the benefits of earning an IB Diploma?

Earning an IB Diploma can bring a variety of benefits. Firstly, it can open doors to top universities around the world, as it is highly regarded by admissions officers. It can also help students develop essential skills such as critical thinking, time management, and research skills, which are highly valued by employers. Additionally, the IB Diploma can provide a well-rounded education that prepares students for success in a globalized world.

4. Is an IB Diploma worth the extra effort and cost?

While the IB Diploma program may require more effort and come with an additional cost compared to other high school diplomas, many students and parents believe that the benefits outweigh these factors. The IB Diploma is highly regarded by universities and can lead to increased opportunities for higher education and career advancement. It also provides a unique and well-rounded educational experience that may not be available in other high school programs.

5. Can you earn college credit with an IB Diploma?

Many universities around the world offer college credit for IB courses and/or the IB Diploma itself. However, the amount of credit given varies by institution. It is essential to research individual university policies to determine how many credits can be earned with an IB Diploma. Additionally, some universities may also offer advanced standing or exemptions for IB Diploma holders, allowing them to skip certain introductory courses.