Naming and writing formulas of compounds

In summary: Hi there! Writing formulas for compounds can seem tricky at first, but with practice, it will become easier. Here are some steps you can follow:1. Identify the elements present in the compound.2. Determine the charges of each element based on their position on the periodic table. For example, group 1 elements have a 1+ charge, group 2 elements have a 2+ charge, group 17 elements have a 1- charge, etc.3. Determine the ratio of elements in the compound. This can be done by balancing out the charges. For example, if you have a compound with a 1+ ion and a 1- ion, you will need to have 1 of each in the formula
chemzz
Name the following :ZnI2, BrF, FeSO3, CaH2, BaHPO3,CuNO3, AgIO, SO2

write the correct formula of these: zinc sulphate, barium nitrate, gold(III)nitrate, barium chloride, mercurous nitrate, antimony(V)cloride, ferrous bromide, calcium carbonate and hydrobromic acid.

i have attempted them as aswell...
ok...so i got these...
ZnI2 - Zinc Iodide
BrF-Barium Floride
FeSO3- Iron sulphite
CaH2- Calcium hyroxide
BaHPO3-Barium hypophosphate
CuNO3- Copper Nitrate
AgIO2- Gold(II)Idoxide
SO2- Sulphide

For the formulas i got...
zinc sulphate- ZnSO3
barium nitrate-BaNO3
gold(III)sulpahte- AgSO3
barium chloride- BaCl
mercurous nitrate- i don't get this one!
antimony (V) cloride- AtCl5
ferrous bromide- FeBr
calcium carbonate- CaCO3
hydrobromic acid- HBO3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
here u go...:)

chemzz said:
Name the following :ZnI2, BrF, FeSO3, CaH2, BaHPO3,CuNO3, AgIO, SO2

write the correct formula of these: zinc sulphate, barium nitrate, gold(III)nitrate, barium chloride, mercurous nitrate, antimony(V)cloride, ferrous bromide, calcium carbonate and hydrobromic acid.i have attempted them as aswell...
ok...so i got these...
ZnI2 - Zinc Iodide
BrF-Barium Floride
What is Br the symbol for? (It's not barium)
FeSO3- Iron sulphite
CaH2- Calcium hyroxide
No, calcium hydroxide is Ca(OH)2. The formula you are trying to name does not have the oxygen in, and so is calcium hydride.
BaHPO3-Barium hypophosphate
I'm not sure about this one.
CuNO3- Copper Nitrate
correct
AgIO2- Gold(II)Idoxide
Well, Ag is silver. To be honest, I don't know this one either!
SO2- Sulphide
That's not correct. What is CO2? Can you tell from this what SO2 is?

For the formulas i got...
zinc sulphate- ZnSO3
No. You seen to be getting confused with the oxyanions. Compounds ending in SO4 are sulphates; compounds ending in SO3 are sulphites.
barium nitrate-BaNO3
correct
gold(III)sulpahte- AgSO3
The chemical symbol for Gold is Au. Also, I'm sure the question says gold(III) nitrate. What does the III in brackets mean?
barium chloride- BaCl
No, your charges on this compound don't balance. Look at which groups each element is in in the periodic table.
mercurous nitrate- i don't get this one!
I think mercurous means the 1+ ion of mercury.
antimony (V) cloride- AtCl5
At is astatine-- check your periodic table!
ferrous bromide- FeBr
Ferrous means iron(II) ions
calcium carbonate- CaCO3
correct
hydrobromic acid- HBO3
B is no the symbol for bromine. Do you know the formula for hydrochloric acid? If so, can you get from this the formula for hydrobromic acid?[And, for the record, I'm not a chemist, and haven't taken chemistry for quite a while-- that's why I don't know the answres to some of the questions! Someone who does know them will be along soon, I'm sure!]

Last edited:
Barium nitrate is not BaNO3.

Chemzz, it looks like you're guessing many of these. There's a systematic way to do these that you need to learn first.

See the link in the above post, as well as http://www.ausetute.com.au/wriiform.html

Gokul43201 said:
Barium nitrate is not BaNO3.
Sorry, it's not-- my bad :blushing:

Br stands for bromine and B stands for boron

Barium biphosphite

hi. I'm a student that doesn't understand how to write the formulas to compounds. if you could help me, please do. thanks.

1. What is the purpose of naming and writing formulas of compounds?

Naming and writing formulas of compounds is important because it allows us to identify and communicate the specific chemical composition of a substance. This is crucial in fields such as chemistry, medicine, and materials science.

2. How are compounds named?

Compounds are named using a set of rules and conventions established by the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC). These rules take into consideration the elements present in the compound, their relative proportions, and their bonding arrangements.

3. What is the difference between a molecular and an ionic compound?

A molecular compound is made up of molecules, which are formed when two or more non-metal atoms bond together through covalent bonds. An ionic compound, on the other hand, is made up of ions, which are formed when a metal and a non-metal exchange electrons to form a bond.

4. How do you write the formula for a compound?

The formula for a compound is written using the chemical symbols of the elements present in the compound. The subscripts next to each element indicate the number of atoms of that element in the compound. These subscripts are determined by balancing the charges of the ions or the number of valence electrons in the molecule.

5. Can the same compound have different names?

Yes, a compound can have different names depending on the naming system used. For example, water is also known as dihydrogen monoxide or hydrogen oxide. However, the IUPAC naming system is the most widely accepted and used in scientific research and communication.