Iceland Tyre Trick - Is it Real?

• Thread starter jostpuur
  • Start date
In summary, a video of some guys in Iceland using fire to put a car tyre back on the rim may seem like a hoax, but it is a common technique used when a high-volume compressor is not available. By spraying a flammable aerosol into the tire and igniting it, the resulting explosion inflates the tire and sets the bead. This can also cause the tire to jump if it is wider than the rim. While it may seem unreal, this method is used frequently by off-roaders and has been proven to work.
jostpuur
I once saw a video, where some guys in the Iceland put a car tyre back on the rim using fire. It looked so unreal, I started thinking it could be a hoax of somekind. Unfortunately I cannot find the video anymore in the internet. :frown: Does anyone know something about this?

All I can find is this: But that is not the same video. They do the same trick here, but it doesn't look so unreal now. The video I saw earlier showed the trick from different angle, and the tyre jumped a lot longer distance than in this one. It was so long distance, it was difficult to imagine air pressure or something like that causing it.

edit: Oh.. dammit. I should have googled also without the key word "iceland". Keywords "tyre rim fire" only give more videos of this. I guess its real then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Huh? What is inflating the tire?

This is a common technique used by people that don't have access to a high-volume compressor, but need to reseat the bead on a tire before it can be inflated. Spraying a flammable aerosol into the tire and then igniting it causes a violent expansion and pressure spike that inflates the tire and sets the bead; sometimes with dangerous results.

Off-roaders do it all the time, heck even I have done it before with a friend. There's nothing to debunk.

So the tricks is to spray some liquid fuel/solvent into the tyre and then burning that creates the presurised gas. In the video it looked like he just heated the air in the tyre with some sort of torch.

Mech_Engineer said:
This is a common technique used by people that don't have access to a high-volume compressor, but need to reseat the bead on a tire before it can be inflated. Spraying a flammable aerosol into the tire and then igniting it causes a violent expansion and pressure spike that inflates the tire and sets the bead; sometimes with dangerous results.

Off-roaders do it all the time, heck even I have done it before with a friend. There's nothing to debunk.

Okey. Unfortunately I cannot find that one video I saw once. It looked really amazing. Lot more amazing than those videos one can spot easily now in youtube. If somebody finds it (or believes he found, I cannot desribe the video in full detail), it would be nice if he posted here a link to it anyway. Even though the OP is settled, I assume.

mgb_phys said:
So the tricks is to spray some liquid fuel/solvent into the tyre and then burning that creates the presurised gas. In the video it looked like he just heated the air in the tyre with some sort of torch.

It is probable that he lit the air/fuel mixture that was in the tire with the torch, and the resulting combustion was contained within the tire and difficult to see.

As for the jumping in the air part of the OP, this can happen if the tire is wider than the rim on which it is to be mounted. The rim is sitting on the ground while the tire is deflated sitting on it's side, but as soon as the internal combustion takes place, the tire violently expands in both directions. If the tire sticks out farther than the rim, liftoff. This can obviously be quite dangerous depending on the size of the tire and the amount of fuel inside it; i have heard stories of semi-truck tires jumping 10-15 ft. off the ground.

1. Is the Iceland Tyre Trick real?

Yes, the Iceland Tyre Trick is a real phenomenon that has been documented by scientists.

2. How does the Iceland Tyre Trick work?

The Iceland Tyre Trick is a result of a combination of factors, including the unique geology of Iceland and the properties of rubber tires. When a car is driven on certain types of volcanic rock in Iceland, the tires can generate enough static electricity to power small electronic devices.

3. Can anyone perform the Iceland Tyre Trick?

Yes, anyone can perform the Iceland Tyre Trick as long as they are driving on the right type of volcanic rock and have the right conditions for generating static electricity.

4. Is the Iceland Tyre Trick safe?

Yes, the Iceland Tyre Trick is generally safe as long as it is performed in a controlled environment and with proper precautions. However, as with any type of activity involving electricity, there is always a risk of injury if proper safety measures are not followed.

5. Are there any other places in the world where the tyre trick can be performed?

The Iceland Tyre Trick is unique to Iceland due to its specific geology and volcanic activity. However, there have been reports of similar phenomena in other parts of the world, such as New Zealand and Hawaii, where volcanic activity is present.