Page Numbering in LaTeX: Help Finding Command

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Moridin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the speaker has tried using Google to find a command that removes page numbers on the title and abstract page, while keeping the internal structure unchanged. They have used this command before but cannot remember its name. They also mention a specific way to set the page counter in their document.
Moridin
I've tried Google, but since I'm not sure on what the command is actually called, I'm having some difficulties finding this command. What it does is to remove the page number on the page with the title and abstract, yet keep the internal structure unchanged, that is, the page after the front page is still marked as "2". I've used it before, it just can't remember what it was. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moridin said:
I've tried Google, but since I'm not sure on what the command is actually called, I'm having some difficulties finding this command. What it does is to remove the page number on the page with the title and abstract, yet keep the internal structure unchanged, that is, the page after the front page is still marked as "2". I've used it before, it just can't remember what it was. Thanks.

After the maketitle line I put
\thispagestyle{empty}

kdv said:
After the maketitle line I put
\thispagestyle{empty}

And after

\end{titlepage}

I put

\setcounter{page}{2}

This way the second page (which is the Content page in my case) starts at page 2.

I am using amstex and I am not sure how much of this is specific to ams style.

1. What is LaTeX and why is it used for page numbering?

LaTeX is a typesetting system commonly used in the fields of mathematics, computer science, and physics for creating high-quality documents. It is popular for page numbering because it allows for precise control over the layout and formatting of pages.

2. How do I add page numbers in LaTeX?

To add page numbers in LaTeX, you need to use the command \pagenumbering{ followed by the desired numbering style (e.g. arabic, roman, etc.). You can insert this command at the beginning of your document or in the header/footer section of your document to have page numbers automatically added to each page.

3. Can I customize the appearance of page numbers in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of page numbers in LaTeX by using the \fancyhead{} and \fancyfoot{} commands. These allow you to specify the formatting, position, and content of the header and footer, including page numbers.

4. How do I restart page numbering in LaTeX?

To restart page numbering in LaTeX, you can use the \pagenumbering{} command again with the desired numbering style. This will reset the page number counter and start numbering from 1 again.

5. Can I have different page numbering styles in one document?

Yes, you can have different page numbering styles in one document by using the \pagenumbering{} command multiple times with different styles. You can also use the \thispagestyle{} command to change the page numbering style for a specific page or section of your document.