Same person, doing same thing?

• Thread starter Absolution
  • Start date
In summary, there is a theory called Many-Worlds Interpretation that suggests there could be someone in the universe who looks and acts exactly like you. This would be more likely in an infinite universe, but even in a finite universe, it is still possible. This theory is based on the concept of infinite possibilities and probabilities.
Absolution
I once heard somewhere that due to some physics theory, there is someone out there in the universe doing exactly the same thing as you and looking exactly the same as you. I can't remember the details though... Anyone heard of this before and can clarify?

I don't think it seems plausible though..

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematically, if the universe is infinite, that would have to be the case, because the probability of there being somebody somewhere in the infinite universe doing the same thing would be 1. However, if the big-bang theory is correct, our universe is not infinite, so the probability of that happening would drop dramatically - so close to zero we could say for sure it's not the case.

even if the universe is infinite, why can't there be an infinite number of possible combinations for "things"?

moe darklight said:
even if the universe is infinite, why can't there be an infinite number of possible combinations for "things"?

Then it should be possible to show the existence (with probability 1) of a person 'arbitrarily similar' to you by any reasonable metric.

Absolution said:
I once heard somewhere that due to some physics theory, there is someone out there in the universe doing exactly the same thing as you and looking exactly the same as you. I can't remember the details though... Anyone heard of this before and can clarify?

I don't think it seems plausible though..
You're thinking of MWI (Many-Worlds Interpretation). Here are two links you can read about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many-worlds_interpretation

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qm-manyworlds/

Thanks Evo!

I don't really seem to understand it though haha... But i guess its something to do with probability too?

Happy New Year anyway!

What is meant by "same person, doing same thing" in the context of scientific research?

"Same person, doing same thing" refers to a common experimental design in which the same individual or group is tested under identical conditions multiple times. This allows for comparison of results and reduction of variability due to individual differences.

Why is the "same person, doing same thing" design important in scientific studies?

This design helps to control for external factors and individual differences that can affect the results of an experiment. By using the same person or group, researchers can be more confident that any differences in the results are due to the manipulated variable and not other factors.

What are the limitations of the "same person, doing same thing" design?

One limitation is that it may not be feasible or ethical to test the same person multiple times, especially if the experiment involves a potentially harmful intervention. Another limitation is that the results may not generalize to other populations, as individual characteristics can vary greatly.

How can researchers address the limitations of the "same person, doing same thing" design?

Researchers can use a control group that receives a placebo or no intervention to compare against the group being tested multiple times. They can also use a larger and more diverse sample to increase the generalizability of the results.

What are some examples of studies that use the "same person, doing same thing" design?

Some examples include studies on the effects of exercise on mood, where the same individuals are tested before and after a workout, or studies on the effects of medication on cognitive performance, where participants are given the drug or a placebo and tested multiple times on the same tasks.