Is an Ideal Cycle Possible? Examining Enthalpy Values in a Lab Experiment

• Thread starter skaboy607
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle
In summary, the speaker is discussing the possibility of an ideal cycle and mentions a lab experiment where the enthalpy values for the cycle and the cycle assuming isentropic compression are very close, causing them to doubt the impossibility of an ideal cycle. They also mention a refrigeration setup used in the experiment.
skaboy607
Is an ideal cycle possible? In a lab experiment that I have carried out, my enthalpy values for the cycle and the cycle assuming isentropic compression look like they are the same. I thought this was impossible but I am doubting myself now?

Thanks

Will

Engineering news on Phys.org
skaboy607 said:
Is an ideal cycle possible? In a lab experiment that I have carried out, my enthalpy values for the cycle and the cycle assuming isentropic compression look like they are the same. I thought this was impossible but I am doubting myself now?

Thanks

Will

An ideal cycle is not achievable in reality due to irreversibilities. However, you may get arbitrarily close. What does your lab consist of exactly?

CS

We had a refrigeration setup and we varied the evaporator volts which varied the pressure whilst keeping the condensor pressure constant. At one particular pressure, the specific enthalpy and specific enthalpy (based on isentropic compression) are very close if not the same.

Will

1. What is an "Ideal Cycle"?

The "Ideal Cycle" is a concept in thermodynamics that refers to a theoretical process that is used to analyze the efficiency of thermodynamic systems. It is based on a set of assumptions and ideal conditions, such as no friction or heat loss, and serves as a standard for comparison with real-life systems.

2. How is an "Ideal Cycle" different from a real-life cycle?

An "Ideal Cycle" is a theoretical model that assumes perfect conditions, while a real-life cycle takes into account factors such as friction, heat loss, and other imperfections. In reality, no system can achieve 100% efficiency, so the "Ideal Cycle" serves as a benchmark for evaluating the performance of real-life systems.

3. What are the main types of "Ideal Cycles"?

The main types of "Ideal Cycles" are the Carnot cycle, the Otto cycle, the Diesel cycle, and the Rankine cycle. Each of these cycles follows a different set of assumptions and is used to analyze different types of systems, such as heat engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants.

4. How is the efficiency of an "Ideal Cycle" calculated?

The efficiency of an "Ideal Cycle" is calculated by taking the ratio of the work output to the heat input. This is represented by the equation: Efficiency = Work output / Heat input. In an "Ideal Cycle", the efficiency can approach 100%, but in reality, it is always less than that due to various factors.

5. Why is the concept of "Ideal Cycle" important in science and engineering?

The concept of "Ideal Cycle" is important because it allows scientists and engineers to analyze and compare the efficiency of different systems. By understanding the ideal conditions and limitations, they can make improvements to real-life systems to make them more efficient. Additionally, the "Ideal Cycle" serves as a theoretical framework for understanding the principles of thermodynamics and its applications in various fields.