Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics

In summary: Irodov. They are harder to find and more expensive. Sena's book is fairly easy to find but it's not as good as the others. I think you could try online bookstores in India or search for them on Google.
Gunthi
Salutations!

I've been asking this forum if someone had any ideia where to find it, but I got no replies.

So, just to be sure it's not a problem of visibility, here it is again, with the ensurance that I've spend countless hours googling it's whereabouts.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one looking for this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I was about to ask the same thing, when I found your post!
(it's not visibility then!)
I've also googled it, and even found some websites that sell it, but it appears they only ship to India (I live in south america, so, it isn't very helpful!). It also seems to be very cheap and very hard (I've read in a forum it is so cheap that it isn't even worth downloading it), I believe it's worth buying it!

By the way, is there a solution's manual for Krotov (as there is for Irodov)? I'm a self learner, so if it doesn't have the solutions in the book, or a solution's manual, it will not be very helpful.

By the way (2), there seems to be a few more authors with problem books worth buying: A.A Pinsky Problems in Physics Reference Book
S.S Krotov Aptitude Test Problems in Physics Reference Book
L.A. Sena A collection of questions and Problems in Physics Reference Book
V.Zubov & V.Shalnov Problem in Physics Reference Book

Anyone here knows something about these books (difficulty, availability of answers etc) and how to buy them?

Many Thanks!

Cheers!

I have no problem buying it either, but it seems impossible to find a dealer who ships it to Europe too, even though the author is Russian.

I remember seeing some time a go a solutions manual for Krotov's book online, but i can't find it anymore. I'll let you know if i do ;)

By the way, thanks for the list, I'll even add one other book that seems interesting and hard to find, H.C. Verma's "Physics", it's also recommended study material for IIT admission exams, so it must be awesome too.

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also trying to find Verma!
It seems they don't sell the books for the rest of the world...

These books don't have the fame that Irodov has, which partly explains why they're so hard to find. I was one of the finalists of the National Physics Olympiad, and they (other students) only talked about Irodov (which was new to me at that time). Rarely do I find some reference to Kosel or Saraeva. I only found out Krotov much later, checking IIT - related websites.

I've sent you a private message with more authors of problem books (I didn't want to hijack this post with more off-topic).

Let us see if anyone knows how to buy Krotov!

hey Krotov doesn't need any solutions manual all questions are solved in it :). It costs about Rs 55 (Indian Rupees). It's published by CBS Publishers and Distributors in India in arrangement with Mir Publishers Moscow. You can check their websites or some online Indian bookstores. As far as HC Verma is concerned don't bother buying it. All the good things in it are taken from Halliday Resnick Krane, Schaums 3000 solved problems Alvin Halpern and Irodov.

sukhbir said:
hey Krotov doesn't need any solutions manual all questions are solved in it :). It costs about Rs 55 (Indian Rupees). It's published by CBS Publishers and Distributors in India in arrangement with Mir Publishers Moscow. You can check their websites or some online Indian bookstores. As far as HC Verma is concerned don't bother buying it. All the good things in it are taken from Halliday Resnick Krane, Schaums 3000 solved problems Alvin Halpern and Irodov.

Thank you so much!

Acut said:
I've also googled it, and even found some websites that sell it, but it appears they only ship to India (I live in south america, so, it isn't very helpful!). It also seems to be very cheap and very hard (I've read in a forum it is so cheap that it isn't even worth downloading it), I believe it's worth buying it!

By the way, is there a solution's manual for Krotov (as there is for Irodov)? I'm a self learner, so if it doesn't have the solutions in the book, or a solution's manual, it will not be very helpful.

By the way (2), there seems to be a few more authors with problem books worth buying:

A.A Pinsky Problems in Physics Reference Book

Anyone here knows something about these books (difficulty, availability of answers etc) and how to buy them?

Many Thanks!

Pinsky and Zubov are not as tough to solve as Krotov or Irodov, I mean if you can solve Irodov or Krotov then Pinsky and Zubov are comparatively very very easy. As far as Sena's book is concerned, its not really a problem books ( like others you have mentioned), its more like a collection of questions, and not as tough as krotov or Irodov. Pinsky and Zubov have answers for all problems but solutions to select few. Krotov has solution to all the problems at the end of the book. Krotov's book is Published in India as well by CBS publishers. Let me know if you need more information!

sukhbir said:

I'd agree with you Sukhbir on H. C. Verma's book but not 100%, Firstly, even if mostly its not original, you would get Benefit studying it ( everything at one place). Secondly there are few topics (e.g collision or when two blocks with spring collide) where H.C. Verma explains much better then any of the other books. Thirdly, it does has problems ranging from very simple ( plug and chug) to very sophisticated ( some even harder then Irodov's) and it has multiple choice questions ( some of them are very good).

Acut said:

These books don't have the fame that Irodov has, which partly explains why they're so hard to find. I was one of the finalists of the National Physics Olympiad, and they (other students) only talked about Irodov (which was new to me at that time). Rarely do I find some reference to Kosel or Saraeva. I only found out Krotov much later, checking IIT - related websites.

I've sent you a private message with more authors of problem books (I didn't want to hijack this post with more off-topic).

Can you send me too the books on problems, Thanks!

Good news everyone!

I've successfully bought a copy of Krotov's book via nbcindia.com. They ship by FedEx, and I got the book 4 days after purchase (I live in Portugal), and they seem to be shipping everywere.

Good luck!

Congrats Gunthi! You can buy H C Verma as well from the same site
http://www.nbcindia.com/Descriptions.asp?6v6yr_vq=HIIEK&Book=Concepts-Of-Physics [Broken]

good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to acquire Krotov's book and it says that the book will cost Rs. 55 plus s&h which is Rs. 850. So it will cost me only $20 or what?

Can someone please answer me? Just yes/no is okay even. It seems unbelievable that I could get a rare book shipped from the other side of the Earth for 20 bucks.

bguidry17, you should go ahead and buy it, though it was rare but as it is now published by CBS, India, its no more rare in that part of the world. congrtats!

Thank you! I think I will also buy Verma.

Acut said:

Could you send me the list of problem books as well? It would be very appreciated!

bguidry17 said:
Could you send me the list of problem books as well? It would be very appreciated!

Ok, let me prepare it, I'll get back in 2 days

saurabhid said:
Ok, let me prepare it, I'll get back in 2 days

Thank you so much!

bguidry17 said:
Thank you so much!

I've sent you a private message regarding the books, good luck!

saurabhid said:
I'd agree with you Sukhbir on H. C. Verma's book but not 100%, Firstly, even if mostly its not original, you would get Benefit studying it ( everything at one place). Secondly there are few topics (e.g collision or when two blocks with spring collide) where H.C. Verma explains much better then any of the other books. Thirdly, it does has problems ranging from very simple ( plug and chug) to very sophisticated ( some even harder then Irodov's) and it has multiple choice questions ( some of them are very good).

I would rather say that Resnick/Halliday/Walker have much tougher questions that Verma.

What sort of physics background would you need to benefit from this book? Would a freshman level do?

zonk said:
What sort of physics background would you need to benefit from this book? Would a freshman level do?

Yes, Freshman level Physics covers the topics that Krotov's book cover, but let me warn you that the problems in Krotov's book are much tougher

khil_phys said:
I would rather say that Resnick/Halliday/Walker have much tougher questions that Verma.

I found that last few problems in each chapter of Verma's books are much difficult then Resnik/Walker and sometimes even more difficult then Irodov's. Sorry couldn't agree with you :)

There's no question of being sorry. Each to his own.

And how would compare Irodov and Krotov on the problem-difficulty level and the variety level?

I didn't find H.C.Verma very good. The language in problems is not precise. Sometimes its not clear what he is asking. Irodov language is very precise and accurate, like most of those Mir books on physics.

By the way, the book by Krotov has been posted here

http://mirtitles.org/2011/12/05/science-for-everyone-aptitude-test-problems-in-physics

this website by an indian, has many other Mir titles... I was looking for Krotov for zillion years

Edit: Direct link for the Krotov's book is

http://ifile.it/g6fpt8w

It's there for free download at 4shared.com.

can you please update the download link.

send me your email by PM, Dr.Physics

I have ebook copy of the book. PM me. I don't think anybody owns copyright for this.

Acut said:

By the way (2), there seems to be a few more authors with problem books worth buying:

A.A Pinsky Problems in Physics Reference Book

Many Thanks!

Hi

I saw some Kinda rush hour here Hence i give you this..

<non-functioning link deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics?

Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics is a collection of challenging physics problems designed to test a student's aptitude and understanding of the subject. These problems are often used as practice exercises for students preparing for competitive exams or as a supplement to traditional physics textbooks.

2. Who created Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics?

Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics were created by Russian physicist and educator I. E. Irodov. He was a renowned professor of physics at the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology and is known for his contributions to the field of theoretical physics.

3. What makes Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics unique?

Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics are known for their difficulty and the wide range of topics they cover. They require a deep understanding of fundamental principles and the ability to apply them in complex problem-solving situations. These problems also encourage critical thinking and creativity, making them valuable for students preparing for competitive exams or pursuing a career in physics.

4. How can Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics be used?

Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics can be used as practice exercises for students preparing for competitive exams or as a supplement to traditional physics textbooks. They can also be used by teachers to challenge their students and stimulate their interest in physics. Additionally, these problems can be used by individuals looking to improve their problem-solving skills and deepen their understanding of physics concepts.

5. Are there any resources available to help solve Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics?

Yes, there are several resources available to help solve Krotov's Aptitude Test Problems in Physics. These include online forums and communities where students and teachers can discuss solutions and strategies, as well as solution manuals and study guides that provide step-by-step explanations for each problem. It is important to note, however, that the best way to approach these problems is to first attempt them independently and only seek help when necessary.