Math major into a physics PhD?

In summary, the speaker is a second year university student in Australia who is interested in pursuing a major in mathematics and a minor in physics. They are unsure about whether they can avoid taking certain physics courses that they dislike in order to focus on their preferred subjects of quantum and astro. They are considering doing their honours and PhD in a mathematical-based astro topic and have contacted universities for more information on the required background.
amesoeurs
hey all,

i'm currently in australia about to go into my second year of uni. last year i did the standard first year physics and maths courses, astro II and a couple of philosophy electives. i'd always wanted to do physics but after taking the e&m course, i think i am a bit offput. i enjoy maths a lot more. so i hate things like fields, thermo, etc, but love quantum and astro. the former courses would be required for a physics major and i really do not want to do them.

anyway, to my point. would it be feasible for me to do the required maths courses for a maths major, still take the quantum/astro/dynamics/computational courses I'm interested in, and then do honours and my phd in some kind of mathematical based astro topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't avoid those subjects. Not knowing thermodynamics and e/m and wanting to do astrophysics is not possible.

amesoeurs said:
hey all,

i'm currently in australia about to go into my second year of uni. last year i did the standard first year physics and maths courses, astro II and a couple of philosophy electives. i'd always wanted to do physics but after taking the e&m course, i think i am a bit offput. i enjoy maths a lot more. so i hate things like fields, thermo, etc, but love quantum and astro. the former courses would be required for a physics major and i really do not want to do them.

anyway, to my point. would it be feasible for me to do the required maths courses for a maths major, still take the quantum/astro/dynamics/computational courses I'm interested in, and then do honours and my phd in some kind of mathematical based astro topic?

FWIW, I contacted the ANU astrophysics honours coordinator last year about the required background for honours and he said that a major in astrophysics and applied mathematics with a minor in physics would give a very good knowledge base for honours. At Monash they also expect you to complete at least a minor in physics. I don't know what uni you're at but you should talk to the coordinators of the astrophysics honours program and ask for the back ground requirements.

1. Can I pursue a PhD in physics with a math major?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a PhD in physics with a math major. Many graduate programs in physics welcome students with a strong mathematical background, as math is an essential tool in understanding and solving complex physical problems.

2. Do I need to take additional physics courses if I have a math major?

While it may not be required, it is highly recommended to take additional physics courses to supplement your math major. Physics and math are closely related fields and having a strong foundation in both will greatly benefit your understanding and success in a physics PhD program.

3. What skills from a math major are transferable to a physics PhD program?

A math major provides a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills, all of which are highly valued in a physics PhD program. Additionally, the mathematical concepts and techniques learned in a math major are applicable in many areas of physics, such as quantum mechanics and mathematical methods in physics.

4. How can I prepare for a physics PhD program with a math major?

Aside from taking additional physics courses, it is beneficial to familiarize yourself with the specific research areas and topics in physics that interest you. This will help you choose a potential advisor and research project, and also give you a head start in understanding the material covered in the program.

5. Are there any challenges in transitioning from a math major to a physics PhD program?

While every individual's experience may differ, some common challenges in transitioning from a math major to a physics PhD program include adjusting to the different teaching and learning styles, as well as the different focus and applications of the two fields. However, with dedication and hard work, these challenges can be overcome and a successful transition can be made.