Understanding the Significance of 'Square' in Quantum Mechanics Potentials

• Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Square
In summary, the term "square" in square potentials refers to the appearance of the plot of V versus x, where the potential jumps discontinuously from one value to another. In the infinite square potential well model, the wavefunction outside the well is zero due to the conservation of energy, as a particle with finite energy would have infinite energy when outside the well. This is also why Vu, representing the potential energy outside the well, cannot be infinite. The other term in the Schroedinger equation represents the kinetic energy. In the finite square well model, there is a finite probability of the particle being within the potential barrier, which does not violate any classical principles. In quantum tunneling, the particle's location and momentum cannot be known at the
spaghetti3451
Square potentials (finite or infinte, well or barrier) are used in intro Quantum Mechanics courses. My question is:

What does the word 'square' signify?

Physics news on Phys.org
My other question:

In the infinite square potential well model, the wavefunction outside the well is zero. Two reasons are usually put forward:

1. V is infinite. So Vu is infinite unless u = 0. (I don't understand what's still wrong with Vu being infinite.)

2. The particle can't be in a region of infinite potential if it lacks infinite energy. (Why not? Why should classical principles dictate quantum rules? Moreover, in the finite square well model, there is a finite probability of the particle being within the potential barrier? Isn't that a violation of the classical principle we are using in the above argument?) Therefore, u = 0.

Thanks for any help.

Square refers to the appearance of the plot of V versus x.

failexam said:
My other question:

In the infinite square potential well model, the wavefunction outside the well is zero. Two reasons are usually put forward:

1. V is infinite. So Vu is infinite unless u = 0. (I don't understand what's still wrong with Vu being infinite.)

2. The particle can't be in a region of infinite potential if it lacks infinite energy. (Why not? Why should classical principles dictate quantum rules? Moreover, in the finite square well model, there is a finite probability of the particle being within the potential barrier? Isn't that a violation of the classical principle we are using in the above argument?) Therefore, u = 0.

Thanks for any help.

Energy is conserved in both classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. Assuming that the particle inside the well has finite energy, and the potential outside the well is infinite, then when the particle is outside the well, it will have infinite energy, which will violate the conservation of energy. Vu represents the potential energy of a particle outside the well. The other term in the Schroedinger equation represents the kinetic energy. Assuming that the total energy is finite and positive, if Vu were infinite, the kinetic energy would have to be negative infinity (steady state), which is impossible.

Rap said:
Square refers to the appearance of the plot of V versus x.

There is nothing of the plot of V versus x that reminds me of a square, actually!

Rap said:
Energy is conserved in both classical mechanics and quantum mechanics. Assuming that the particle inside the well has finite energy, and the potential outside the well is infinite, then when the particle is outside the well, it will have infinite energy, which will violate the conservation of energy.

But isn't that exactly what happens in quantum tunneling? How does the particle get the extra energy to jump into a potential barrier. Isn't that in violation of the principle of conservation of energy?

Rap said:
Vu represents the potential energy of a particle outside the well. The other term in the Schroedinger equation represents the kinetic energy. Assuming that the total energy is finite and positive, if Vu were infinite, the kinetic energy would have to be negative infinity (steady state), which is impossible.

Howcome Vu is potential energy? I thought V was?
How can the other term represent the kinetic energy?
How can positive and negative infinity add to give a finite positive number?
What does 'steady state mean'?

Thanks for all the help!

failexam said:
Moreover, in the finite square well model, there is a finite probability of the particle being within the potential barrier? Isn't that a violation of the classical principle we are using in the above argument?)

You're not using any classical principles. Since you've apparently solved the finite square well, why don't you just let [tex]V \rightarrow \infty[/tex] and see what happens?

How does the particle get the extra energy to jump into a potential barrier. Isn't that in violation of the principle of conservation of energy?

You're thinking about it classically. How do you know its potential energy (i.e. the location) and the kinetic energy (i.e. the momentum) at the same time?

failexam said:
There is nothing of the plot of V versus x that reminds me of a square, actually!

Square refers to the fact that the potential jumps discontinuously from one value to another, so that the graph of V(x) has a "square" corner. Compare to e.g. a harmonic potential well, whose graph is a parabola.

failexam said:

When the potential is finite, the "well" forms three corners of a rectangle. I wouldn't worry too much about the fact that it doesn't form a square. Its just a name.

failexam said:
But isn't that exactly what happens in quantum tunneling? How does the particle get the extra energy to jump into a potential barrier. Isn't that in violation of the principle of conservation of energy?

I may be wrong here, but as I remember, the time that a particle spends outside the well (delta t) is such that the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is obeyed. In other words, the energy deviation times the time interval is less than Planck's constant/2.

failexam said:
Howcome Vu is potential energy? I thought V was?
How can the other term represent the kinetic energy?
A better way to say it is that they are the potential energy and kinetic energy terms in the Schroedinger equation.

failexam said:
How can positive and negative infinity add to give a finite positive number?
Its a limiting process. For example, as n grows larger, (n+1)^2- (n^2+2n) equals 1. Each term on the left grows larger without bound.

failexam said:
What does 'steady state mean'?
It means no change in time.

Thanks for all the help![/QUOTE]

1. What is the significance of 'square' in quantum mechanics potentials?

The 'square' in quantum mechanics potentials refers to the mathematical operation of taking the square of a number. In quantum mechanics, this operation is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular position or state.

2. How does the square function relate to quantum mechanics potentials?

The square function is used in the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It is used to calculate the time evolution of a quantum system, including the probability of finding a particle in a certain state.

3. What is the physical interpretation of the square function in quantum mechanics potentials?

The square function has a physical interpretation as it represents the square of the wave function, which describes the behavior of a quantum system. The square of the wave function gives the probability of finding a particle in a certain state or position.

4. How does the square function affect the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics potentials?

The square function plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics potentials. It is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state, which ultimately determines its behavior and interactions with other particles.

5. Can the significance of 'square' in quantum mechanics potentials be explained visually?

Yes, the significance of 'square' in quantum mechanics potentials can be explained visually through the wave function, which is often represented as a graph. The square of the wave function is represented by the area under the curve, which gives the probability of finding a particle in a particular state or position.