Photo Contest - Over Exposure (5/7-5/13)

In summary, overexposure in photography is when an image is too bright, resulting in loss of detail in the highlights and washed-out colors. To avoid overexposure, adjust camera settings or use filters. The effects of overexposure include loss of detail and reduced contrast and sharpness. In some cases, overexposure can be fixed in post-processing, but it's best to avoid it. Overexposure can also be used creatively to achieve dreamy or emphasized effects.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Over Exposure

Our theme this week deals with photos that, for one reason or another, is over-exposed. This means that the brightness of the photo is saturated.

BUT HERE'S THE CAVEAT! The over-exposure must be ACCIDENTAL, i.e. it cannot be done on purpose! So this is similar to the "Bad Photo" contest, where you cannot go out and produce a bad photo on purpose. Obviously, there is no way for me to check on this, so I'm relying on the honesty of all participants in this contest.

Good luck!

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly can't remember who took this one. I am 60/40 on wether it was me, but I'll throw it in anyways. Feel free to disqualify it if I have to be 100% it was me. From a trip to the bugaboos about 4 years ago.
[PLAIN]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/6039/alpenglow1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
2ebxpg4.jpg

"Flash set to auto mode" malfunction...
overexp1.jpg

Tough one, because I generally delete crappy images. I found one, though. An old friend holding one of his border collies at an agility dog competition. The only area not blown out is her cheek and eye.

agilitygirl_Cont.jpg

turbo-1 said:
Tough one, because I generally delete crappy images.

Same, but I found one I took a couple weeks ago that was overexposed and I actually kind of liked it.

catoverresize.jpg

That's my Dad in an Airplane. T'was bright and sunny outside. Photo also got blurred.
5705672761_63f33d7240_z.jpg

Thats a cool lookin photo zap.

khemist said:
Thats a cool lookin photo zap.

Thank you! It was actually rather HOT when it was happening. :)

Zz.

I agree with turbo-1: I usually delete these images immediately. For whatever reason, this one was still in the trash... IIRC, I switched the lens but forgot to change the camera settings.

[PLAIN]http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4396/dsc6584.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
chingkui: please read the contest rules, especially on the maximum size of photos submitted to this contest. You may resubmit your photo before the deadline.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
chingkui: please read the contest rules, especially on the maximum size of photos submitted to this contest. You may resubmit your photo before the deadline.

Zz.

My apology for not reading the rules carefully. Here is the picture again.

5708432271_12f5496c04_z.jpg

Easy one for me. Totally over exposed the snow and got this which, for a mistake, has served me quite well. Very difficult to see at the size required for the competition though.

Attachments

• stagcrop.jpg
    stagcrop.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 427

1. What is overexposure in photography?

Overexposure in photography refers to an image that is too bright, resulting in loss of detail in the highlights and washed-out colors. This happens when too much light is allowed to enter the camera's sensor, causing the image to be overexposed.

2. How can I avoid overexposure in my photos?

To avoid overexposure, you can adjust your camera's settings such as aperture, shutter speed, and ISO to control the amount of light entering the sensor. You can also use a neutral density filter or adjust the exposure compensation to reduce the amount of light in the image.

3. What are the effects of overexposure on an image?

Overexposure can result in loss of detail in the highlights, making them appear white and featureless. It can also cause colors to look washed-out and reduce the overall contrast and sharpness of the image.

4. Can overexposure be fixed in post-processing?

In some cases, overexposure can be fixed in post-processing by adjusting the exposure, highlights, and shadows. However, it's best to avoid overexposure in the first place as it can lead to irreparable loss of detail in the image.

5. How can I use overexposure creatively in my photos?

Overexposure can be used creatively to create a dreamy or ethereal effect in photos. It can also be used to emphasize certain elements in the image, such as a bright sky or a subject's silhouette. Experiment with different levels of overexposure to achieve the desired effect.