Any recommendations for a Precalc textbook for self-study?

In summary, a student wants recommendations on a good book to study Precalculus in high school. They think that a two-year course would be better than one year. They recommend texts by Larson and Lial/Hornsby/Schneider.
Hypocrates
Hi, I'll be beginning my high school sophomore year in August and will be taking Precalc in school, but, because I want to start studying physics seriously, I thought it would be a good idea to take initiative and get a solid foundation in the required math before classes start (an entire academic year for Precalculus is ridiculous, anyway). I already have a copy of Spivak's Calculus at hand, so I'm set after I find a good book for Precalc - can I get a few recommendations?

A plus would be an algebra based Physics text so that I can get a taste of what I'll be learning after I am relatively confident with basic Calculus.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hypocrates said:
(an entire academic year for Precalculus is ridiculous, anyway)
I don't think so at all. In fact, there is enough material in "Precalculus" that it could be a two-year course in high school -- college algebra, trigonometry, analytic geometry, basic matrix algebra, some discrete math, introduction to limits, etc.

For some students, it would be better served if they took Precalculus as a two-year course, because they took it "too early" and they haven't reached that level of mathematical maturity yet. I've seen plenty of students who breezed through Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II, only to struggle in Precalculus.

As for texts, I like Larson. Note that he has several versions, each containing a subset of chapters. It looks like the most "complete" is "Precalculus with Limits, 2nd Edition." It's expensive, so you should buy it used, or buy the 1st edition. I also like Lial/Hornsby/Schneider. Their most "complete" version is "Precalculus." I would avoid Demana/Waits/Foley/Kennedy -- I'm forced to use it, and I think it has too much graphing and not enough math.

In my AP Physics B class (algebra/trig based) we used giancoli 6th edition for the textbook, wasn't too bad and the problems were quite difficult, but the best part is most can be found online.

What is the best self-study Precalc text?

The best self-study Precalc text is subjective and depends on the individual's learning style and needs. However, some popular textbooks for self-study include "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by Stewart, "Precalculus" by Larson, and "Precalculus: A Concise Course" by Larson and Hostetler.

What topics should be covered in a quality self-study Precalc text?

A quality self-study Precalc text should cover topics such as functions, graphs, trigonometry, exponential and logarithmic functions, polynomial and rational functions, and conic sections. It should also include practice problems and clear explanations to help reinforce understanding.

Can I learn Precalculus from a self-study text without prior knowledge?

Yes, a good self-study Precalc text should be designed for beginners and cover all the necessary concepts and skills. However, it is recommended to have a basic understanding of algebra and geometry before starting Precalculus.

Are there any online resources that can supplement a self-study Precalc text?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive quizzes that can supplement a self-study Precalc text. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, MathHelp, and MathisFun.

How long does it take to self-study Precalculus?

The time it takes to self-study Precalculus varies for each individual. It depends on factors such as prior knowledge, study habits, and the complexity of the text. On average, it can take anywhere from 3-6 months of consistent studying to complete a self-study Precalc course.