Why cant we see the light from the big bang ?

In summary, microwaves that we see are the light from the big bang stretched out by the expanding universe to a much longer wave length. Thanks for the reply, can you help me find information about this subject on the web?
abueljihad
hey guys,

i started wondering, why can we find microwaves that get back to the start of the universe and can't see a light the gets back to the big bang ?

Space news on Phys.org
The microwaves that we see are the light from the big bang stretched out by the expanding universe to a much longer wave length.

thanks for the reply, can u help me find info about this subject on the web ? cause google is not really helping me right now :(

Have you tried CMBR?

The CMBR is from much later than the big bang. But we can't see past it because the universe was opaque before then.

DaleSpam said:
The CMBR is from much later than the big bang. But we can't see past it because the universe was opaque before then.

The CMBR began at about 300,000 yr post bang, yes? When did EM come into existence, visible or not?

GrayGhost

Sorry Ben, that Wikipedia link is as deep as my knowledge goes on this topic. I do not understand supersymmetry and symmetry breaking at all.

GrayGhost said:
The CMBR began at about 300,000 yr post bang, yes? When did EM come into existence, visible or not?

GrayGhost
Particle physics is not my forte, but, this what I surmise from the literature.
The photon is the carrier of the electromagnetic force. The EM force did not split until around 10E-12 after the big bang, but, that does not appear to prevent photons from being created sooner. Photons can be generated by electrons changing energy levels, or more importantly in this case, by particle - antiparticle annihilation. Electrons and quarks are believed to have came into existence during the big bang itself [electrons are fundamental particle just like quarks]. So, electron - antielectron and quark - antiquark annihilation looks like a viable mechanism for photon emission. So, it appears photons were being produced right from the get go [~10E-43 seconds after the main event], which makes sense. All of these primordial photons were, however, trapped until recombination [about 380,000 years after the big bang], so none of the 'original' photons are observationally accessible today. Here is an article that may help 'shed some photons' on the matter:
http://insidesu.syr.edu/2011/03/28/large-hadron-collider/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why can't we see the light from the big bang?

The light from the big bang, also known as the cosmic microwave background (CMB), is actually visible to us. However, it is not visible to the naked eye because it is in the microwave portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is invisible to humans.

2. How far away is the light from the big bang?

The light from the big bang is believed to have originated approximately 13.8 billion years ago, which means it is approximately 13.8 billion light years away from us. This distance is constantly expanding as the universe continues to expand.

3. Can we ever see the light from the big bang?

While we cannot see the light from the big bang with our naked eye, it is possible to detect and study it using specialized instruments and telescopes. This is how scientists have been able to gather information about the CMB and learn more about the early universe.

4. Why is the light from the big bang important?

The light from the big bang is important because it provides evidence for the theory of the Big Bang and helps us understand the origin and evolution of the universe. It also gives us insights into the composition and structure of the early universe.

5. How does the light from the big bang support the Big Bang theory?

The light from the big bang, or the CMB, supports the Big Bang theory because it is consistent with the predictions made by the theory. The CMB is a remnant of the intense heat and radiation that accompanied the Big Bang, and its characteristics match what scientists would expect to see if the Big Bang did occur.