Calculating the ripple factor from oscilloscope

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the ripple factor using an oscilloscope for a lab on rectifying and filtering circuits. The main question was what values to use for V_ac and V_dc in the calculation. The participants discussed using the RMS or Vpp values for V_ac and the average or mean value for V_dc. It was mentioned to refer to the textbook or lecture notes for the definition of the ripple factor.
shyta
Hello fellow physicists!

I have a lab about rectifying and filtering circuits and I was asked to calculated the ripple factor using an oscilloscope.

I managed to get the ripple waveform shown on the oscilloscope, but the thing is there are so many values to read off I have no idea which to use/take.

I know the ripple factor is given by the ratio of V_ac over V_dc

where V_ac is the rms of 1/2 the Vpp of the ripple waveform (am I correct here to get the Vpp and multiply this by 1/2*1/sqrt(3)) i.e. sqrt3 since this is a sawtooth waveform

and V_dc should be given by what? v_rms v_avg.. there are so many values to choose from the oscilloscope I do not know what to do!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi anyone? :(

shyta said:
Hello fellow physicists!

I have a lab about rectifying and filtering circuits and I was asked to calculated the ripple factor using an oscilloscope.

I managed to get the ripple waveform shown on the oscilloscope, but the thing is there are so many values to read off I have no idea which to use/take.

I know the ripple factor is given by the ratio of V_ac over V_dc

where V_ac is the rms of 1/2 the Vpp of the ripple waveform (am I correct here to get the Vpp and multiply this by 1/2*1/sqrt(3)) i.e. sqrt3 since this is a sawtooth waveform

and V_dc should be given by what? v_rms v_avg.. there are so many values to choose from the oscilloscope I do not know what to do!

Can you post a screenshot of the oscilloscope waveform? Or maybe post a representative sketch?

I generally deal with Vpp in ripple calculations, but if your book says to use the RMS value for the "ripple factor", then go ahead and do that. I'm not sure what the Vrms is for a sawtooth wave, but you could find it online somewhere, or just calculate it with an integral.

As for the DC value, that will be the average value if the sawtooth amplitude were reduced to zero. Can you see what the average (mean) value of the sawtooth is?

Hi berkerman. Thanks for the reply. I could possibly go find a ripple diagram when i get back home.

For the Vac do you mean that you just take it as Vpp. Meaning the ripple factor is given by Vpp/Vavg?

shyta said:
Hi berkerman. Thanks for the reply. I could possibly go find a ripple diagram when i get back home.

For the Vac do you mean that you just take it as Vpp. Meaning the ripple factor is given by Vpp/Vavg?

I typically work with the value of the ripple in Vpp (and don't ratio the ripple to the Vavge value), and haven't used a "ripple factor", so I don't know the definition of that term. You should use whatever is defined in your textbook or lecture notes.

1. How do I calculate the ripple factor from an oscilloscope?

To calculate the ripple factor from an oscilloscope, you will need to measure the peak-to-peak voltage of the AC signal and the DC voltage level. Then, use the formula: Ripple Factor = (Vp-p - Vdc) / Vdc. This will give you the percentage of AC ripple present in the signal.

2. What is the significance of calculating the ripple factor?

The ripple factor is an important parameter to measure in AC circuits, as it indicates the level of AC ripple present in the signal. This can affect the performance and efficiency of electronic devices and circuits, so it is important to keep the ripple factor as low as possible.

3. Can I use any type of oscilloscope to calculate the ripple factor?

Yes, you can use any type of oscilloscope to calculate the ripple factor, as long as it has the capability to measure both AC and DC voltages. However, it is recommended to use a digital oscilloscope for more accurate and precise measurements.

4. Is there a standard or acceptable range for the ripple factor?

There is no specific standard or acceptable range for the ripple factor, as it depends on the specific application and circuit design. In general, a lower ripple factor (closer to 0%) is desirable for better performance and efficiency.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of the ripple factor calculation?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of the ripple factor calculation, such as the frequency of the AC signal, the type of load, and the quality of the power supply. It is important to consider these factors when interpreting the results of the ripple factor calculation.