Why Is the JUICE Mission Targeting Ganymede Instead of Europa?

• Thread starter skydivephil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, scientists are interested in Ganymede because it may have the potential to support life, and because Europa is much more difficult to study.
skydivephil
Are there any papers describing the possibility of life on Ganymede? I understand it is believed to have a liquid water ocean. But few seem as excited about Ganymede as they are about Europa. Is this becuase of the location of the ocean?

If there are few or no prospects for lilfe on Ganymede why is the JUICE mission focusing on Ganymede? I thought Europa was what everyone is exicted about , now I read the Laplace is canceled and ESA are looking to go ahead to Ganymede and prety much forget Europa.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
skydivephil said:
Are there any papers describing the possibility of life on Ganymede? I understand it is believed to have a liquid water ocean. But few seem as excited about Ganymede as they are about Europa. Is this becuase of the location of the ocean?

If there are few or no prospects for lilfe on Ganymede why is the JUICE mission focusing on Ganymede? I thought Europa was what everyone is exicted about , now I read the Laplace is canceled and ESA are looking to go ahead to Ganymede and prety much forget Europa.

Here is a relevant excerpt on Gaymede:

Possibility of Life

It has been suggested that Ganymede may be amenable to life. However, scientists say that the chances of life existing on Europa are much higher than on Ganymede, because Europa's ocean is closer to the surface than Ganymede's.

While temperatures are extremely low, & there is very little atmosphere, it does have its own magnetic field that might protect life from harmful radiation, & it lies in a relatively quiet radio zone around Jupiter unlike Europa.
http://www.info-facts.com/ganymede.htm

The Juice Mission does schedule more orbital time to Gaynmede than to Europa.
http://www.lpi.usra.edu/pss/dec2011/presentations/JoanSalute.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see more scientific analysis on Ganymede via probe missions and telescope. I was unaware that it is thought to have an ocean. That link referenced by Radrook isn't worth a darn, by the way (the content, that is; the link works fine, but I know BS when I see it).

Super Luminal said:
I'd love to see more scientific analysis on Ganymede via probe missions and telescope. I was unaware that it is thought to have an ocean. That link referenced by Radrook isn't worth a darn, by the way (the content, that is; the link works fine, but I know BS when I see it).

Deleted

Last edited:

As a scientist, it is important to consider all factors and evidence when discussing the potential for life on other celestial bodies. While it is true that Ganymede is believed to have a liquid water ocean, there is currently no conclusive evidence or papers that definitively suggest the presence of life on this moon. The excitement surrounding Europa is primarily due to the strong evidence of a subsurface ocean and the potential for habitable conditions.

However, the JUICE mission's focus on Ganymede does not necessarily mean that it is the more promising candidate for life. The mission will provide valuable insights and data on the moon's surface and subsurface, which will help us better understand its potential habitability and potential for life. It is also worth noting that the decision to focus on Ganymede may have been influenced by various factors such as technical feasibility, cost, and availability of resources.

Regarding the cancellation of the Laplace mission and the shift towards Ganymede, it is important to remember that the scientific community is constantly evolving and adapting based on new evidence and discoveries. While Europa may have been the primary focus in the past, the decision to shift towards Ganymede may be based on new findings and potential opportunities for research and exploration.

In conclusion, as a scientist, I believe it is important to remain open-minded and continue to explore and study all potential sources of life in our solar system. The JUICE mission will provide valuable information and insights on Ganymede, which will help us better understand its potential for life and inform future missions. It is important to continue to support and fund scientific research and exploration, as it is crucial in expanding our understanding of the universe and our place within it.

What is Ganymede?

Ganymede is the largest moon in our solar system, orbiting around the planet Jupiter. It is also the ninth largest object in our solar system, with a diameter of about 5,268 kilometers.

Is there any possibility of life on Ganymede?

There is currently no evidence of life on Ganymede, but scientists believe that the moon may have a subsurface ocean beneath its icy surface. This makes it a potential location for extraterrestrial life.

What is JUICE?

JUICE stands for JUpiter ICy moons Explorer, which is an upcoming mission by the European Space Agency (ESA) to study Jupiter and its icy moons, including Ganymede. It is expected to launch in 2022 and arrive at Jupiter in 2029.

What are the objectives of the JUICE mission?

The main objectives of the JUICE mission are to study the potential habitability of Jupiter's icy moons, investigate their geology and composition, and understand the role of the Jupiter system in the evolution of the solar system. It will also study the interactions between Jupiter and its moons, and the planet's atmosphere and magnetosphere.

How will JUICE study Ganymede and its potential for life?

JUICE will use a variety of instruments, including cameras, spectrometers, and a radar to study Ganymede's surface and subsurface. It will also use a magnetometer to study the moon's internal magnetic field and a dust detector to study the composition of its exosphere. The mission will also collect data on the potential presence of a subsurface ocean and the moon's habitability.