How can I explain the mirage created from two parabolic mirrors?

In summary, parabolic mirrors create a mirage by reflecting and focusing light rays from a distant object due to their curvature. The mirage is caused by the bending of light passing through air of varying temperatures, and can only be created with two mirrors of the same focal length placed at a distance equal to the sum of their focal lengths. While parabolic mirrors are commonly used, other types of curved mirrors can also create a mirage with careful positioning.
superjose
Hi. I would like to know where can I find detailed information on how is a mirage created when you place an object between two parabolic mirrors, with one of them opened.

You must know about this device:
http://www.optigone.com/mirage_images/hologramWhand.gif [Broken]

In other words, I would like to know where can I find detailed information on how does it work.

Thanks a lot :p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
well, I just Googled 'parabolic mirror illusion' and came up with several websites that describe the geometry.

Thanks Dave. Think I've got some few good sites.

1. How do parabolic mirrors create a mirage?

Parabolic mirrors create a mirage by reflecting and focusing light rays from a distant object, creating the illusion that the object is closer than it actually is. This is due to the curvature of the mirrors, which causes light rays to converge at a specific point, creating an image that appears to be real.

2. What causes the mirage to appear?

The mirage is caused by the bending of light as it passes through air of varying temperatures. This creates a difference in air density, causing light to refract and create the illusion of an image that is not actually there.

3. Can any two parabolic mirrors create a mirage?

No, the two mirrors must have the same focal length in order to create a mirage. If the focal lengths are different, the light rays will not converge at the same point, and the mirage will not be created.

4. How far apart should the two mirrors be placed to create a mirage?

The distance between the two mirrors should be equal to the sum of their focal lengths. This will ensure that the light rays converge at the same point and create a clear mirage.

5. Can a mirage be created using other types of mirrors?

Yes, while parabolic mirrors are commonly used to create mirages, other types of curved mirrors, such as concave and convex mirrors, can also be used. However, the shape and positioning of the mirrors must be carefully chosen in order to create a clear and convincing mirage.