Undergraduate Engineering Physics To Graduate Aerospace Engineering

In summary: However, I think it would be better for you to pursue an undergraduate degree in something else, like mechanical engineering or electrical engineering, and then go on to graduate school to study aerospace engineering. That way, you will have a better foundation in engineering and be better prepared for the graduate level work you will be doing. Sure, you could try to do it the other way around, but I think you would be more frustrated with the result.thanks so much!Thank you for your comment. It is important to have a solid foundation in the sciences before attempting to study aerospace engineering.
AerospaceKid
Is it possible/okay to get your undergraduate degree in engineering physics and then go into graduate school and get your graduate degree in aerospace engineering>

please help

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It may be possible, but it not necessarily the smartest thing to do. A lot depends on what you have in mind for your graduate work to be. If you are thinking of doing the graduate work at the same school where you are doing the undergraduate work, go over and talk to the aero folks and see what they say. They can give you the best available advice for what you specifically have in mind to do.

Yes, and I know people who have done it. However, those people have all reported feeling behind at the beginning of their gaduate work and having to work harder to catch up. Similar to how an aerospace engineer would feel lost going the other direction.

I have not yet gotten a degree in anything yet and am still in high school. I have heard from some of my older friends that getting an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering is beneficial to a graduate degree in aerospace engineering. the whole thing is about what university i want to go to for my undergraduate degree (university of British Columbia), and then i plan on going to university of toronto for my graduate studies.

Given that you haven't even started your undergraduate work yet, there is no way to be certain you will even be interested in more school after 4 to 5 years of baccalaureate work. You are best served by doing something that you can use to get a jobyou like should you decide you don't want to do grad school after all.

i'm an undergraduate student. I'm thinking to study Aerospace engineering. one of my senior told me that one of the advantage of studying specialized engineering like this one is you are different from students who study engineering such as mechanical and E&E, however the disadvantage is i can't get a job far different from the field if i don't want to work the jobs in my specialization. I'm really confused now, not sure i should go ahead or not.

that is true but the question you need to ask yourself is, are you going to be happy in aerospace. i personally love space and hope to be involved in building spacecraft one day. That is my dream. what university/college do you go to?

i'm going to apply for Nanyang Technology University in Singapore. I'm a Malaysian with STPM qualification. Any other fields that an aerospace engineer can work? besides working with flight company.

Thanks! the link is really useful and make me see clearly what aerospace engineers can do. i think I'm one step further to my decision. Thanks a lot! I wonder can i work in aircraft industry in foreign country? i may not be able to work in Department of Defence or NASA, how about other aircraft industry/company? do you know some examples? Does aerospace engineering deals a lot with electronics?

Angeline Ling said:
Thanks! the link is really useful and make me see clearly what aerospace engineers can do. i think I'm one step further to my decision. Thanks a lot! I wonder can i work in aircraft industry in foreign country? i may not be able to work in Department of Defence or NASA, how about other aircraft industry/company? do you know some examples? Does aerospace engineering deals a lot with electronics?
It is possible for a compentent scientist or engineer to work abroad. One could work for an airline or aerospace company.

Avionics is the fields of electronics in aviation.

https://info.aiaa.org/tac/ISG/DATC/Web Pages/Downloadable Documents.aspx
http://www1.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=360&id=1004
http://www.aiaa.org/PubDetail.aspx?id=3961

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avionics
There are several major vendors of flight avionics, including Honeywell (which now owns Bendix/King), Rockwell Collins, Thales Group, Garmin and Avidyne Corporation.

Last edited by a moderator:
would i still be able to do AeroE if I'm not good in electronics?

Hi guys,

I am a student with a SPM qualification. I am thinking of studying diploma in mechanical or E&E engineering in a college in my hometown. But i am very interested in aerospace engineering as well. I would just like to ask about whether can i pursue a degree level in aerospace engineering in university although having a diploma in mechanical or E&E engineering?

Please help. I was so frustrated with my further education.

Thank you so much for your comments.

I know people working towards graduate degrees in aerospace who did MechE/EE for their undergrad.

1. What is the difference between undergraduate engineering physics and graduate aerospace engineering?

Undergraduate engineering physics is a broad field that covers the fundamentals of physics and their application in engineering. Graduate aerospace engineering, on the other hand, is a specialized field that focuses specifically on the design, development, and production of aircraft and spacecraft. While both fields require a strong foundation in physics, graduate aerospace engineering goes more in-depth into the principles and techniques used in the aerospace industry.

2. What skills and knowledge do I need to have to pursue graduate aerospace engineering after completing undergraduate engineering physics?

To successfully pursue graduate aerospace engineering, you will need a strong understanding of physics, mathematics, and engineering principles. You should also have a solid foundation in computer programming, as many aerospace engineering tasks involve the use of computer-aided design (CAD) software. Additionally, having knowledge of materials science, thermodynamics, and fluid mechanics will be beneficial.

3. Can I pursue graduate aerospace engineering with a degree in a different engineering discipline?

Yes, it is possible to pursue graduate aerospace engineering even if your undergraduate degree is in a different engineering discipline. However, you may need to take some additional courses to ensure you have the necessary background in physics and other relevant subjects. It is also recommended to have some experience or coursework in aerospace engineering to have a better understanding of the field.

4. What are the career opportunities for someone with a graduate degree in aerospace engineering?

With a graduate degree in aerospace engineering, you can pursue a variety of career opportunities in the aerospace industry. Some common job roles include aerospace engineer, aircraft designer, systems engineer, and research scientist. You could also work in the defense, space exploration, or commercial aviation sectors.

5. Is there a demand for professionals with a background in both undergraduate engineering physics and graduate aerospace engineering?

Yes, there is a high demand for professionals who have a strong foundation in both undergraduate engineering physics and graduate aerospace engineering. This combination of skills and knowledge is highly valuable in the aerospace industry, and many companies actively seek out individuals with this background for their engineering teams. Pursuing a graduate degree in aerospace engineering after completing undergraduate engineering physics can open up many exciting career opportunities.