Electric car with the wind mill

In summary, using a windmill on the car while driving would actually add drag and not provide any power, but using a stationary windmill while the car is parked could potentially help recharge the batteries. The size and power of the windmill would need to be large and efficient enough to generate significant energy for recharging. Ultimately, any relevant input from others could be helpful in determining the feasibility and effectiveness of this idea.
akkiakshay
I am mechanical engineer and working on a project of electric car havin a wind mill on the top.
i am using 7 lead acid batteries and a DC series wound motor. The car has a wind mill for the recharging of the batteries.
I have read other thread on this forum which states that the wind mill on the car is not a productive idea.
so whether it will be a good idea to use the wind mill only at the time when the car is parked. so that drag doesn't cause any work loss??
and how much size and the power wind mill i should be using?

Any relevant input will help

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you are a mechanical engineer as you claim to be, you should go through a simple thermodynamic analysis which shows your system and where the power inputs are. You'll find that the only way the windmill can "provide" power to the system is for it to sap it from the car's speed as wind drag, and this speed has to have been added to the car by the engine. This means your windmill is just adding drag to the system and not providing power.

You're wasting your time, save yourself the embarassment and stop while you're behind.

Last edited:
akkiakshay said:
I am mechanical engineer and working on a project of electric car havin a wind mill on the top.
i am using 7 lead acid batteries and a DC series wound motor. The car has a wind mill for the recharging of the batteries.
I have read other thread on this forum which states that the wind mill on the car is not a productive idea.
so whether it will be a good idea to use the wind mill only at the time when the car is parked. so that drag doesn't cause any work loss??
and how much size and the power wind mill i should be using?

Any relevant input will help

If you want to use the wind to help recharge the batteries when the car is stationary, that could work. However, it would take a pretty large windmill, and it would need to be pretty windy. You could have a stationary windmill at your home, for example, that you plug your car into when it is parked. You would definitely not want the windmill out in the windstream while you were driving!

1. How does an electric car with a wind mill work?

An electric car with a wind mill, also known as a wind-powered car, uses the force of wind to generate electricity. The wind mill, or turbine, is connected to a generator that converts the kinetic energy of the wind into electrical energy. This energy is then used to power the car's electric motor, which in turn drives the wheels.

2. What are the benefits of using an electric car with a wind mill?

One of the main benefits of using an electric car with a wind mill is that it is powered by a renewable energy source - wind. This means it does not produce any harmful emissions and is environmentally friendly. Additionally, the cost of operating an electric car with a wind mill is significantly lower than that of a traditional gasoline-powered car.

3. How fast can an electric car with a wind mill go?

The speed of an electric car with a wind mill will depend on various factors such as the size and efficiency of the wind mill, the weight of the car, and the terrain. However, some wind-powered cars have been able to reach speeds of up to 60 miles per hour.

4. Can an electric car with a wind mill be used in all weather conditions?

As long as there is wind, an electric car with a wind mill can be used in any weather condition. However, it may not be as efficient in extreme weather conditions such as strong winds or heavy rain. The car may also have a backup battery to ensure it can still run even without wind power.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using an electric car with a wind mill?

One of the main disadvantages of using an electric car with a wind mill is that it relies heavily on the availability of wind. If there is no wind, the car may not be able to function properly. Additionally, wind-powered cars may not be as fast or have the same range as traditional cars, making them less practical for long-distance travel.